What do you consider bad diving conditions (in terms of wave height, swell, and period)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Typically haven't had to deal with bad diving conditions but with winter approaching, I'm making sure to check the conditions before we go out. What do you guys consider bad conditions in terms of wave height, swell and period?

Also, could someone clarify what swell is? Are they just talking about surge (the back and forth motion underwater)? And the period is how long between those back and forward motions, correct?

Thanks.

Where abouts are you located?

Bad conditions are anything beyond my skill to safety dive. Some divers and dive sites have much better tolerances then others.

Period is spaces between the peaks of the wave.

Someone else should be along to better answer.

Cameron

Swell is ok, I have been out diving in Lake Huron , Lake Ontario & Georgian Bay with 6 foot gently rolling swells, Its breaking waves that are dangerous, 2 foot waves can make it difficult to get up a dive ladder.

Last edited:
Diving around Santa Catalina island. Two Harbors, Isthmus reef.

Longer periods are worse for diving, correct?

Bad diving conditions is when I can find no operator going out between Boynton Beach and Jupiter. I have a lot of experience with the operators I use and trust them to make decisions to keep all their divers safe.

As a rule of thumb anything over a force 4 is very questionable.

The main factor is can we recover a casualty onto the boat? More and more UK boats have lifts, which now make it easier in adverse conditions. Most UK dives include decompression, so as long as we can by hold a stop at 6m (18ft) it's normally good to go.

Poor surface visibility is also a concern, it comprises the ability of the boat, or at worst, rescue services to locate missing divers.

Poor underwater visibility is also a concern, I have aborted dives where the conditions are so bad that it is positively dangerous. The is especially of concern on wrecks where you can inadvertently end up inside the wreck, an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Gareth

Bad diving conditions is when I can find no operator going out between Boynton Beach and Jupiter. I have a lot of experience with the operators I use and trust them to make decisions to keep all their divers safe.
Agree. On the FL panhandle in winter you usually can look at the waves at the shore and surmise whether the rare boat that goes out that time of year will go. But sometimes wave heights may vary from shore when 10 miles offshore, so I too figure conditions are too bad if the boat doesn't go. Any time there were fairly big waves/swells I always found climbing up the ladder quite doable, so I trust the Capts.' decision to go. I think a general rule of thumb there is 3-4' waves is maybe the cut off point.
For shore diving, chop is usually OK, as viz will be good enough (5'+?) going deeper. Swells not so good as they kick up the sand/silt. I dive a lot from rocky shores, so any kind of big surf that means a nasty exit I tend to avoid--and dive tomorrow.

Also, could someone clarify what swell is? Are they just talking about surge (the back and forth motion underwater)? And the period is how long between those back and forward motions, correct?

Thanks.

Swell is the height of the wave and period is the number of second between each wave crest. Wavelength = period.

3ZrO8PG.jpg

Diving around Santa Catalina island. Two Harbors, Isthmus reef.

Longer periods are worse for diving, correct?

Longer periods are better for diving. A 5 second period swell will have waves hitting the boat every 5 seconds. A 15 second period swell will be hitting the boat every 15 seconds. The longer it takes for each wave to hit the boat, the easier it is to get back onboard. I've heard of people diving 10-12' swell in CA and they were able to because of the long period. A 10' swell with a 5 second period would be near impossible.

As others have mentioned, there is no cook book answer. If you are diving from shore, then the size of the waves is critical. If you are diving from rocks or boulders, it may be easy to jump in and very difficult to get out in the same location.

If you are diving from a boat, then a lot depends on the boat and also the configuration of the ladder and/or platform. Even the gear you are taking matters, if you have a small or moderate sized tank you can do a lot more than if wearing a heavy exposure suit and multiple tanks. Also, realize that water temperature matters a lot too, if you get really cold, you will experience significant weakness in the arms and legs and this affects your ability to scramble up a ladder on a pitching boat.

If you have a long period swell, (this is large waves that are gentle and spaced out far apart because the wind energy that generated them has dissipated or the waves have moved away fro the generation source) it may be easy to dive in a 10 ft swell. However, larger swells can penetrate deep (100 ft even) and move sediments around and can make it dangerous to dive next to a shipwreck that will concentrate the surging water.

Of course, a huge consideration is the strength of the diver. There is no substitute for physical strength and endurance. Also a huge factor is the experience level of the diver, have they dove in similar conditions, do they understand how to climb a ladder or scramble over rocks? Realize too that if you get in trouble in the "white water" which has zero visibility, your buddy can do little or nothing to help you.

Determining what conditions are suitable and which are not is probably the hardest aspect of diving and it may take years of practice and maybe even several close calls before you get a feel for what is doable and what is not for you (and any buddies who have so little going on in their lives that they have to dive in marginal conditions).

Can't write this much without a "one summer in band camp" story. I was diving near a shipwreck in 100 ft of water with 10 plus foot swells. The surging action was not too strong, but the ship was creaking and groaning like a haunted house. I went under the stern of a 300 ft ship to shoot a fish. I shot the fish and got totally slammed by a surge so strong that it snapped the end of my gun off when the shaft didn't fully exit my gun and the surge threw me forward further under the ship. It was a real lesson in the power of surge and how a ship could funnel the wave energy in a small restricted place.

I've been beat up too many times. I hesitate to go diving in anything larger than three feet swells. I've had great vis in large swells with a long interval but the ride back was long and sometimes scary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom