What do you do when nobody can go diving with you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

two options get on a diveboat so that you can find a buddy onboard 3 buddies or similar araingement or do what I do when no buddy is available dive by myself.

I have added a lone diver in the keys before to our group...I wouldn't let it stop you from going. Have a great trip.

If you pick the right time of year I'll go! My last dive was in cold pea soup (perfect for nav & limited vis work!).

I have a buddy moving to south Miami (and not taking me along, what nerve!) in less than two weeks. If you click the FORUMS buttom, scroll to "Regional Travel & Dive Clubs", United States, and select the something Florida related you'll find a dive.

I'm visiting Key Largo in late december. I'm the only diver in my group but it's not going to slow me down. Every dive op I contact assure me that it's pretty common to be paired up with a buddy. I plan on letting them know in advance though.

Thank you everybody for very useful information. I would like to go diving at the Keys around late Nov or early Dec (have to use some vocation days that I could not carry over to next year). If any lone diver from Chicago plans to dive at the Keys around this time, please PM me. I'll join force with you ;-)

Thank you everyone!

When in the Keys, I dive with Larry Gates (larrygates.com) an instructor and personal guide to Key Largo diving. He usually goes out with Ocean Divers (MM 100). It costs a little more (not that much in this case) to hire a guide, but it's great for new divers and removes the uncertainty of being buddied up with a stranger. :D

What do I do when I can't get a buddy to go with me....

I'm here, ain't I?

Thank heavens for SB!

I did 4 Keys trips in the last year :D and have yet to go down there with a buddy(non-diving wife). Haven't had any problems getting paired up so far - sometimes they'll send you with someone from the shop, or they may pair you up with a single diver or other small group. This time of year the bigger concern seems to be getting enough divers to get them to run the trip(during the week anyway). Call ahead of time and get on the list so that the shop has a indication of how much interest there is on any particular day(as opposed to just showing up). You can find plenty of recomendations on SB for dive-ops. A word of warning - it has been my experience that about 50% of the time your insta-buddy is worthless(this is on the reefs, attitude and discipline seem better on the wrecks). Be the best buddy you can but be ready to save your own ***.

Back
Top Bottom