Question What distance do you remain when diving off the sea floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see too many divers, especially photographers getting too close to anything and then not knowing how to back swim, or swim in reverse, kick up the bottom after trying to turn around after taking their shots.
Agreed that knowing how to backfin well is crucial in UW photography. I shoot a lot of video with a GoPro, which requires getting close. Because I wanted to get closer and get good shots, I learned how to backfin very well before I started shooting closer. So, technically, using a GoPro made me a better diver. LOL!

I like to stay as far off the bottom as i can while keeping visual contact with the bottom, so it's dependent on the vis. It feels like flying - the best feeling. I am typically not looking for small stuff and being higher up lets me scope out big animals and more distant structure.

I like to stay as far off the bottom as i can while keeping visual contact with the bottom, so it's dependent on the vis. It feels like flying - the best feeling. I am typically not looking for small stuff and being higher up lets me scope out big animals and more distant structure.

So around here half the time your 6 inches to on foot above.

You definitely don't want to hit into anything or stir up the silt. Currents can stir up the bottom silt on their own and I would recommend staying above that silt layer to avoid any disorientation during your dive.

In one place I shore dive there is some silt, as opposed to the usual sand. I will usually stir it up gradually descending then follow it back, just staying to one side. No need for compass use there. I wouldn't recommend it if it could cause a total silt out.

As long as I'm not dredging the bottom with my knuckles

Screenshot (1033).png

That's twenty plus metres, where I'm told buoyancy is easier

Usually about 1-3 ft. There’s all sorts of cool stuff walking around down there.

Depends a lot on conditions. Is there surge? I am staying far away from anything that I could hit. In calm water I tend to stay pretty close the bottom. I love doing macro photography.

Back
Top Bottom