What do you do with keys while shore diving on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The electronic fob unlocks the ignition, and unless it is very close to the switch the truck will not start.

I am not terribly concerned about theft of the dive rental truck itself, I always try to get just about the worst looking one they have on the lot. I not only do not want to be responsible for damages done shore diving with a cherry, new truck, psychologically, my badly beat up truck just makes a less inviting looking target, since it's also always open, with nothing left to steal.

The electronic fob unlocks the ignition, and unless it is very close to the switch the truck will not start.

Ah... On a truck rental I've only ever had the kind that unlocks the doors remotely.

I was just curious what others do with their vehicle and room keys while shore diving on the island.

This last trip I tied both to a snap swivel, using cave line, so they could be clipped off securely. This worked very well, especially as the truck ignitions for rentals at Buddy Dive do not have electronic key fobs.

View attachment 216587

Last year we rented elsewhere, and those trucks required an electronic fob to start, a fob which obviously isn't a good thing to take diving!

I solved this by removing the small fob and hiding it inside truck dash, and diving with just the metal key, while my brother went one step further.

Dale found a way to put the fob inside the steering column shrouding, so all he had to do to start the truck was stick the regular key in the ignition.

No no no no to boltsnap and cave line. Go to HD or Lowes and get a stainless "quick link". Looks like a link of chain with a screw closure.

Bolt snaps can can come unclipped. and losing your key at nukove would suxk.

Dont ask me how I know this. I think someone told me...

also, what wwguy said. Electronics have no place on Bonaire.

I keep finding these old threads about car key fobs through google and wanted to add a note about the DRYFOB waterproof car key holder for those that may also be searching and don’t already have an old dive light or other similar solution.

One day they will upgrade those old trucks at Buddy Dive :). I do love their amazing house reef and can’t wait to return to visit. We checked recently and flights were so limited and expensive but hopefully that will return to more regular schedules. Anyone been recently?

You too?

It was Dale, on the last DNY trip I hosted

By the way Herman, Buddy Dive has really been on top of their maintenance needs. Something to keep in mind for any futuretrips. Rooms, grounds and even the dive shop dock area, all been or being upgraded.

True, I know that there are old threads, and I have even posted in at least one, BUT if I resurrect an old thread I will catch flack for that...........and if I start a new one, I'll get flack like yours.......

So..... I chose to start a new one, and wear my body armor. Old SB threads are very hard to search, especially for anyone newer to these forums.

Damned if I do, and damned if I don't, so I opted to reach out to those who want to discuss it today, even if somebody once discussed similar stuff, somewhere else, sometime long ago.

Completely agree. Difficult to search.

only 130 ft? I'd expect more of a safety factor than that?

only 130 ft? I'd expect more of a safety factor than that?

you mean the DRYFOB? Lots of margin. Really just wanted to claim recreational dive limits so got the official ipx8 rating as such. Dive lab did multiple tests at 200 fsw to give a 1.5x margin, we kept them at 260 for 24hrs in our own pressure test setup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom