What do you do with keys while shore diving on Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That wasn't Dale. :)

You too?

It was Dale, on the last DNY trip I hosted

By the way Herman, Buddy Dive has really been on top of their maintenance needs. Something to keep in mind for any futuretrips. Rooms, grounds and even the dive shop dock area, all been or being upgraded.

True, I know that there are old threads, and I have even posted in at least one, BUT if I resurrect an old thread I will catch flack for that...........and if I start a new one, I'll get flack like yours.......

So..... I chose to start a new one, and wear my body armor. Old SB threads are very hard to search, especially for anyone newer to these forums.

Damned if I do, and damned if I don't, so I opted to reach out to those who want to discuss it today, even if somebody once discussed similar stuff, somewhere else, sometime long ago.

. . .
True, I know that there are old threads, and I have even posted in at least one, BUT if I resurrect an old thread I will catch flack for that...........and if I start a new one, I'll get flack like yours.......

So..... I chose to start a new one, and wear my body armor. Old SB threads are very hard to search, especially for anyone newer to these forums.

Damned if I do, and damned if I don't, so I opted to reach out to those who want to discuss it today, even if somebody once discussed similar stuff, somewhere else, sometime long ago.

No worries.

I find it super-easy to search for old threads using Google. Type this into Google:

site:scubaboard.com bonaire key

I took the guts out of an old dive light that we don't use any more and turned the shell into a dry box. Plenty big enough for keys, some cash, etc. I did this following a suggestion from someone here.

No worries.

I find it super-easy to search for old threads using Google. Type this into Google:

site:scubaboard.com bonaire key

See, that tip is something that those newer to this board might not have known. Most of us stumbled along, trying to use the search engine built into SB, until somebody points out just how useless that search engine really is, and how Google search does a far better job of searching these forums.

I took the guts out of an old dive light that we don't use any more and turned the shell into a dry box. Plenty big enough for keys, some cash, etc. I did this following a suggestion from someone here.

I have heard of using the old dive light as a waterproof case. Being threaded, and having a good O ring that can naturally provide a better watertight seal than most plastic cases.

Might try a diy pvc can light housing with the screw on end on both sides.

I did it back when we were at Windsock Apts several years ago.

That's the same trip when Dale did it too. That was the only time we had to use those stupid electronic fobs to start the rentals.

At the local lake, I've used two ziplock baggies to store my BMW key fob and put it in my shorts pocket under my wetsuit while diving. The outer ziplock may have had a drop or two of water but the inner bag was dry as a bone.

And no worries about holding pressure since the bags just compress any bit of air.

A couple cents apiece for the ziplock bags.

..snip..
Dale found a way to put the fob inside the steering column shrouding, so all he had to do to start the truck was stick the regular key in the ignition.

By circumventing the anti-theft device you are cancelling your insurance policy. If the vehicle is stolen the insurance company on Bonaire will ask you for the key and the security device (fob) as evidence that you didn't leave them in the vehicle and make life easy for the robber. This is clearly stated in the insurance document.

On another topic I found that the room safe key started to accumulate salt and this was deposited in the lock of the safe which became harder and harder to open as the week went on. So we started rinsing and drying the safe key before using it.

I was just curious what others do with their vehicle and room keys while shore diving on the island.

Keys - along with my license, credit card, and a few dollars - stay nice and dry in the pocket of the board shorts I dive in.

Of course I wear the board shorts under my DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit...

:D

bonaire21.jpg

---------- Post added September 18th, 2015 at 08:42 AM ----------

By circumventing the anti-theft device you are cancelling your insurance policy. If the vehicle is stolen the insurance company on Bonaire will ask you for the key and the security device (fob) as evidence that you didn't leave them in the vehicle and make life easy for the robber. This is clearly stated in the insurance document.

The electronic fob gets taken off the keyring and goes in the room safe. Since you're not going to lock the truck while you're there... there's no reason to carry it around with you all week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom