What do you do with scallops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've still got a few left....Colin, yours is the next one I'll try. I bet shrimp would be great that way too!

Can try scallops marinated in Mojo for a few hours then either sautee and serve with spanish rice or skewered and cooked on open fire. Goes real well in warm tortilla wrap with avacado, sprouts, and a little ranch dressing.

in the words of Muddy Waters:

i gots my mojo working
but it don't work on you...

Sometimes I need to slow down when posting - the avacado needs to be thin sliced so it can be laid flat on the tortilla with the ranch dressing spread across the tortilla like a layer... though my wife likes to make designs on top of everything. Put a row of the cooked/sauteed scallops down in the middle of the tortilla with the sprouts down on that. I have also seen my friends put fine shredded lettuce and cucumber on it and fine shredded cheese. - From there wrap like you would any tortilla :)

Ranch dressing can be dropped and a light dose of italian dressing run onto it. Basically its a scallop salad in a tortilla! The bigger the tortilla the better though.. much easier to wrap the big ones up.

one of the best things that i've found to do with FRESH scallops is to slice 'em thin, squeeze a touch of lemon on 'em and eat 'em raw. if that doesn't float your boat, there many many things that you can do with them.

if you have a cast iron skillet, you can try your hand at blackening, it's easy.

coat the scallops liberly in your favorite cajun spice <if you need a recipe please let me know> and then when your pan is HOT!! quickly dip the scallop in oil and deposit into the pan...this will cause a great deal of smoke <so have a well ventilate area or do outdoors>, after about a minute, flip 'em over, wait another minute and then remove from pan. service with a nice remulade sauce.

the main thing with scallops is not to over cook them, once you do that you have this tiny little rubber hocky puck.

if you want to have a little fun with them, get sesame oil, black sesame seeds, wasabi, gari <pickled ginger>, miran, and a healthy amount of garlic.

use miran and garlic to marinade the scallops <about 30 mins>, then in a saute pan, take a small amount of sesame oil <this will burn at low temps so you have to temper it with another type of oil or use butter> and butter...add the garlic from the marinade and cook until tender. add in the scallops and cook for about 2-3 mins...sprinkle the sesame seeds over top when you remove from pan and serve with gari and wasabi.

enjoy!!

A.

I've been trying to find pickled ginger. Folks around here look at me like I'm nuts! I did find several recipes for it, though!

And you're right about the little rubber hickey pucks...don't ask!

Dee, does houston have a chinatown section? if so, go there to the asian markets and poke around. you should be able to find it.

and don't worry your secret is safe with me <we all make little rubber hockey pucks at least once in our lives>

Alan

I once had a Chinese lady cook them for me by sauteing
them in oyster sause which is availalble in any supermarket.
Please don't knock it until you have tried them this way.

I eat em :p heehee.. Usually Bacon wrapped grilled on the BBQ. or Sauteed in a frying pan with butter and garlic.. until golden brown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom