What do you do with your keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, so this is kind of a dumb question, but my husband and I were discussing it last night, and we don't really know...

When you go diving, what do you do with your car keys when you shore dive? Our local quarry tells us to make sure to lock all our valuables into the car. It is an open recreation area and non-divers can come in to fish, hike, even hunt. So while our open water class just left stuff out (there was a non-diver in the group who watched the stuff) if it was just the two of us, I don't think I'd want to do that. I mean we wouldn't take much stuff with us, but at the very least, we'd need a credit card in case we have to stop by a gas station...

My car has a non-electronic key, but the car large enough to carry tanks in it doesn't: the key has all the electronic buttons embedded on it. I don't think we could tuck that into a BCD pocket and take it underwater.

So- what do you do with your keys?

Not surprisingly, this question comes up frequently on the Bonaire branch, so take a look there. If your only option is an electronic key, then get a waterproof case and take it with you. In Bonaire, the rental truck keys are the old-fashioned type, so I could just stick it in a BC pocket. But I still take a waterproof case with a phone, cash, etc.

I I have an electronic key but I had a standard key cut for it as well which will open the door. I then hide the keys in my car and attach the std key onto a lock ring on my BCD shoulder D ring. Wife does as well. As others said if you can't get a std key cut to open the door, then use a waterproof container. If you are having problems finding a good quality cheap one, you can use an old dive torch without batteries in it, they are a quality waterproof container.

Waterproof container. Okay, so I guess that was an obvious answer. Thanks for humoring me! I'm almost certain I've seen a few small ones at the dive shop, so that will be easy enough to pick up :)

Waterproof container. Okay, so I guess that was an obvious answer. Thanks for humoring me! I'm almost certain I've seen a few small ones at the dive shop, so that will be easy enough to pick up :)

there are differences in waterproof containers, some of which are not depth rated. If you are going this route, be sure to get a container that is rated for a depth deeper than you will be going.

Best waterproof container is an old dive flashlight. Slip a small weight inside to make it slightly negative (I use a few quarters) and you're done. Make sure that you take care of the O-rings.

I had a standard key cut as well that would open my drivers door. I don't clip it to my BC though - I wear it on a lanyard around my neck.

As soon as I start gearing up I make sure that key is around my neck.

I have a friend whose new car opens with proximity - he doesn't do the waterproof case thing but he instead hides his keys around the dive site. Usually in tall grass.

Back
Top Bottom