What do you guys know about Norseman/Viking regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmer fudd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No, I don't have one and they're probably a little too rich for my blood, but I am somewhat fascinated by them. They're a really unusual design and you don't hear much about them. Did they breathe OK? I kind of suspect they might have breathed hard due to the small diaphragm. I think Fred Roberts described their first stage along the lines of "two tire valves".

There is a great article in the HDS magazine from Spring 2010 #63. Ed La Rochelle takes a look at the 5 versions of the regulators.

They both are hard to find regs.The Viking is the rarer of the two.The Northill with the green tag is much harder to come by than the black tag one.I have one of each.The Viking to me is the coolest looking double hose ever made.

Last edited:
From what I've seen on e-bay, when the Vikings do come up for sale they go for a pretty penny. The Norseman is basically the Viking by another name and I'm not sure what the differences are, but I'm guessing they're minor. It's just one of those regulators you see mentioned in books like Basic Scuba, but hardly ever gets mentioned on the vintage forums. For some reason, I'm also really intrigued by the Demone.

The Northill was a different animal. I have a 1957 Northill, (label appears brown to me), and have successfully dove it. I'll probably take it out again a few times this year, but only in fresh water in the future.

Regarding the HDS, I wish I could get a copy of that issue, but the truth is I'm just too darn cheap to join or to buy back issues at $20 a pop. I'm sure they're great, but it's just more than I'm willing to spend.

I could send you scans of that issue if you like.I have been a collector and historian of vintage scuba for over ten years now.I joined this site in 2005 and haven't had much to say.I do collect and dive a little vintage scuba.Most for the strange looks.If anyone ever has questions on vintage gear I should be able to help.I have a few friends with great collections also.I see a few vintage divers from the others sites on this one.That is so funny.I was kicked off a site before.The hitler that ran it couldn't handle the truth.I guess they are on this site because the other two are so lame and boring.Later Mike.

Last edited:
I mainly hang out on this site because it seems to have about twice the traffic of the other two.

I hear you.At least this site has real divers not people that only dive in a hole in the ground filled with fresh water.They never heard of the oceans I guess.

You know me Sam.I don't know that one.Patti Labelle had a song Stir it Up also.Your not with the others in Silver Springs big Sea Hunt event?

Mike,
I am from Kaliforina... (OC and Pismo Beach)

I was never a fan of Sea Hunt-- however, I do have inscribed copies of both editions of soft cover & soft cover, inscribed by Bridges and Barada, plus all the SDM covers inscribed by Bridges...

I knew Bill Barada (Bill the Baracuda) for years..dove with him, socialized with him, keep in touch with him after he retired and went RVing & writing for SDM-- my son Dr.Sam, IV dated and was becoming some what serious with his grand daughter-- but never worked out! Too late now..

Knew Bridges, but not well, I was on several programs with him. Had a friend, who has passed away, who grew up with Bridges in Petaluma, called him "Bud" Bridges. I am remiss in not chatting more about Bridges with him - but we live forever...That is why I am telling you about my relationship with B&B

But I am not a fan of Sea Hunt -- and I can't explain why ...never attended the gatherings

sdm, 111

Back
Top Bottom