What do you think about the one who lived?

What do you think about the one who left their buddy to drown?

• He was a coward or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He made the right decision

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • They went in together, they should have died together

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • They should have tried to get out together and hope for a miracle

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • He should have given his gas (rig) to the deceased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If it was the other guy’s fault, it’s Ok he left him

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • He was acting rational and responsible

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • How can he live with himself?

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I wish I could help the survivor somehow

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I would have done the same in those circumstances

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I would never be able to do that in any circumstances

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I do not want to think about things like these

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you knew you where going to die (no matter what) and you where Solo diving and would you take your Regulator out of your mouth, and inhale water as fast as you could to get it over with, or would you breathe your cylinder(s) down to 0000psi and then try to hold your breath for as long as you can untill you either passed out, or spat the regulator out inhaled water and drowned?

I would never dare judge a person who was left with a life or death decision. And I would think *incredibly* poorly of someone who did think badly of them. Unless you're in that situation, you don't know how you would even react.

I would dive with the survivor (as long as they met my usual requirements in a buddy of course). I wouldn't dive with anyone who thought poorly of the survivor though.

Until I'm put into a situation like that I really can't say how I would react, no one can. I have had it drummed into me though, that in diving & emergency response, there's no sense in having additional victims. That puts the rescue/ recovery team into that much more jeopardy to perform their jobs. Even though there may be those who disagree with me on this, when diving, I'm #1, you're #2. Meaning that I will render any & all reasonable aid, but not at the jeopardy of my own life. One of the best ways I have heard technical diving explained is, it is a solo dive done as a social activity. You are part of a team, but essentially on your own. In a way, it can also be put that way in recreational diving. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. You should not depend on another to pull your fat out of the fire. I am not discounting the buddy system, as I stated above, I will give all reasonable assistance before leaving. Leaving someone to die in an emergency situation is probably the hardest thing an individual may have to do. I do not envy them there, neither will I judge them on their actions.

If you knew you where going to die (no matter what) and you where Solo diving and would you take your Regulator out of your mouth, and inhale water as fast as you could to get it over with, or would you breathe your cylinder(s) down to 0000psi and then try to hold your breath for as long as you can untill you either passed out, or spat the regulator out inhaled water and drowned?

Too many people have died close to the exit. Some of them probably died because they gave up.

Never give up.

What do you think about the one who lived?
He/She will have a very difficult time with it. I would not wish that on anyone.

I voted "I would not like to think of such things" in the sense that, like Sas, it is not my place to judge someone in a situation like that. Beyond some basic accident analysis such a situation would just conjure feelings of sadness in me for both divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom