What do you think of this fitness routine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do cardio 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Weight training twice a week, and Pilates class once a week. I use the gym during my lunch hour and the Pilates class is at night. I suppose I could go more at night and get cardio up to 5 times a week and weight training 3 times. I will not go to the gym during the weekend because it's in my building where I work and who wants to go there on the weekend. When my pool opens, I'll add laps to the mix.
When I eat right, I lose weight. So I think this program is ok.
I also got a yoga dvd to use on the weekends.

...you do all this, and still have time for diving?? :) If you're adding laps, I'd drop back on something else for a while.

Personally I keep work-outs to 2-3 times a week on average : 45- 50 minutes twice a week in the pool doing laps, and another 20-30 minutes using light weights with high reps. That way I can keep my schedules flexible, and allow time for recovery between sessions....and more importantly keep weekends free for diving. Just my tuppence worth.

Everyone is different and it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You do need time for your body to rest, but maybe the weekend is good enough for you. I think the key is that you said "it appears to be working". 'Nuff said.:D

Carolina Diver:
Everyone is different and it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. You do need time for your body to rest, but maybe the weekend is good enough for you. I think the key is that you said "it appears to be working". 'Nuff said.:D
You really think that's too much? I know people who do 50 minutes of cardio every day and/or spend a couple of hours on weights. My weight routine does go about 45 minutes, but I could go longer. I just gotta get back to work.
I'm looking to increase my cardio vascular stamina. I can usually get to my target heart rate. I also want to increase the strength in my arms and back specifically. My legs are pretty strong since I used to dance, but my knees are a weak spot.
A cardio routine might go some variation of this: 10 minutes elipticle, 10 minutes teadmill (walking, I don't run) and 10 minutes bike. I do the cardio on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and the weights on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

No, I don't think that is too much spelled out, but everyone is different and sometimes it is easy to overlook the rest. The body breaks down during workouts (especially hard weight training) and rebuilds during downtime.

Your cardio isn't that intense all in all, so you are probably fine working out everyday. Just do what your body tells you and what is giving results. Don't forget to plan your diet according to what your goals are as well!:wink:

Carolina Diver:
No, I don't think that is too much spelled out, but everyone is different and sometimes it is easy to overlook the rest. The body breaks down during workouts (especially hard weight training) and rebuilds during downtime.

Your cardio isn't that intense all in all, so you are probably fine working out everyday. Just do what your body tells you and what is giving results. Don't forget to plan your diet according to what your goals are as well!:wink:

Well, I just read this morning one should do 30 minutes of cardio almost every day. I only do it 3 times a week. I feel like such a slacker. And I do give my body a rest between weight training like I've been advised to do.

The human body is designed for and actually requires much more activity than we give it in our modern lifestyles. It is not only possible, but a good idea, to get some form of focused exercise nearly every day.

To put this into perspective, my wife's OB even told her that she should be exercising 30 minutes every day throughout her pregnancy, and that was over 2 years ago. The OB was not just referring to increased activity, but true fitness training, 30 minutes a day, while pregnant. <g>

The trick is in doing the right intensity at the right time to avoid overtraining. The program the OP describes actually seems like a great balance is stricken between various modes of exercise so that recovery can take place even in the presence of activity. Triathlon training is a perfect example of this, where many athletes will even work out twice a day, but by changing the type of workout and intensity, the body is still given a chance to adapt to the increased workload.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
The human body is designed for and actually requires much more activity than we give it in our modern lifestyles. It is not only possible, but a good idea, to get some form of focused exercise nearly every day.

To put this into perspective, my wife's OB even told her that she should be exercising 30 minutes every day throughout her pregnancy, and that was over 2 years ago. The OB was not just referring to increased activity, but true fitness training, 30 minutes a day, while pregnant. <g>

The trick is in doing the right intensity at the right time to avoid overtraining. The program the OP describes actually seems like a great balance is stricken between various modes of exercise so that recovery can take place even in the presence of activity. Triathlon training is a perfect example of this, where many athletes will even work out twice a day, but by changing the type of workout and intensity, the body is still given a chance to adapt to the increased workload.

Cameron

I swam or walked my entire pregnancy. Had 5 hour labor for a first kid. My OB was amazed.
The only day I go to the gym twice is on Mondays because I like to take my pilates class on Monday evening. I suppose on the days I do weight training, I could walk the track at night since the weather is nice outside now. But going to the gym twice a day seems like a drag.

fairybasslet:
I swam or walked my entire pregnancy. Had 5 hour labor for a first kid. My OB was amazed.
The only day I go to the gym twice is on Mondays because I like to take my pilates class on Monday evening. I suppose on the days I do weight training, I could walk the track at night since the weather is nice outside now. But going to the gym twice a day seems like a drag.

Just to clarify, I was using the schedule of many triathletes to indicate that what you are doing is not too much. I did not mean to imply that you're not doing enough, however.

Just stick with the schedule you have if it's doing for you what you want. If you want to increase your schedule, you need to do more than add "junk miles" into your program- each workout should have a very specific purpose other than to just burn calories, and everything needs to fit together into a cohesive plan.

Cameron

As a track and cross country runner I would recommend doing cardio AT LEAST 6 days a week. If you don't have to take the 7th day off then do that to. After 48 hours your body starts to lose all the training that it has gained from working out. A good idea would be to run 5 to 6 days of the week and swim the other 1 to 2 days. Swimming works muscles that no other training does. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom