What do you wear OVER a dive skin, other than a Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverJohnATL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, so I did a little search but didn't find the answer. I know most folks use their lycra dive skins for things like UV protection and getting into a wetsuit, jellyfish stings, rashes, etc. The real question I have and I'm half embarassed to even ask this is......is it ok to wear a bathing suit over a a dive skin???

For example. Its August in the Bahamas I only want to wear a full diveskin while in the water but may not want to um show off all my "man bits" to everyone else around me. So is it ok to wear a set of say board shorts or quick dry shorts over the dive suit or will I look like a total retard and should just go with showing off the goods??

Thoughts??

Don't usually see a bathing suit over a skin. Under the skin, yes, so you still have something on when you want to take the diveskin off...

Interesting that you ask.......I wouldnt ask. I just do whatever the heck I feel like works for me and if the people on the boat dont think it is cool, well I am not there to make a fashion statement.

Roll down top half of suit, tie sleeves like a belt at the waist, throw on a $3 tshirt from the $3 tshirt vendor guy.

There is no shame or shyness in diving,we all look like clowns when we kit up and suit up

I have never bought a plain lycra dive skin and instead dive in a sharkskin, which is similar to a lavacore suit. Easily my favorite piece of dive equipment because its comfortable, keeps me warm AND cool (yes, I'm serious), and has a bit better "protection" than a skin-tight piece of lycra. I agree with the comments like "who cares"? and "it's not a fashion show" but I also dive with work colleagues, mostly men when I'm the lone gal on the boat. Not that I'm uncomfortable around the guys, but I'm also not going to run around in a bikini, ya know? Instead of just a flimsy skin, check out an alternate like the sharkskin or lavacore products. Bonus? lavacore and sharkskin come in pants/tops combos AS WELL AS onesies. So you can feel less like you're running around in pajamas. Nice, eh?

I've known several guys who wear lycra shorts (like bike shorts) as their swimsuit. It makes getting in and out of wetsuit easier and no bunching. Before and after dives when the wetsuit is off, they cover up with board shorts or cargo shorts.

PS - We all look dorky in various phases of scuba attire, not to mention scuba snot, mask imprint on face, and salty 'fro Tiny Turner style hair.

I looked at bike shorts but didn't like the extra padding. Ended up going with speedo swim shorts for wearing under the wetsuit.

Hey everyone, so I did a little search but didn't find the answer. I know most folks use their lycra dive skins for things like UV protection and getting into a wetsuit, jellyfish stings, rashes, etc. The real question I have and I'm half embarassed to even ask this is......is it ok to wear a bathing suit over a a dive skin???

For example. Its August in the Bahamas I only want to wear a full diveskin while in the water but may not want to um show off all my "man bits" to everyone else around me. So is it ok to wear a set of say board shorts or quick dry shorts over the dive suit or will I look like a total retard and should just go with showing off the goods??

Thoughts??

Yes, you will look like a "Total Retard".

Do you think anyone on the boat or at the shoreline cares?

Think of it this way, board shorts are not a good idea under a wetsuit for so many reasons. Some go with a lycra short, also known as a jammer. Others, like myself say F... it, and wear a speedo. Do I look like a retard? Better questions is, should I care?

Wear what you want.

Hi,
My name is David and I wear board shorts on top of my lycra.

I say who cares brother, wear whatever makes you comfortable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back
Top Bottom