What do you wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what type of layering I want to get for my wetsuit. I just got a 7mm Bare Artic. Originally, I was going to also get a 7mm hooded vest that is a full 7mm that goes over the wetsuit.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003117&dept_id=170

After trying it on with the wetsuit it is very constraining and the hood/zipper really bothers me.

I was thinking of exchanging it for the 3mm/7mm hooded vest:

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003106&dept_id=175

Given that this suit would be used locally (Millbrook or Rawlings), I was wondering what people wear especially early in the season (May/June) when the temps are in the 50's - low 60's.

Thanks!

I was at Rawlings three weeks ago. I wore a 7mm Bare Arctic jumpsuit with an O'Neil 5/3 hooded vest under the Bare. 5mm Boots and 5mm gloves. It worked great. I was a bit cool down at 57 ft, but it was still well within the comfort range. I wish I was there right now.

Mountain Dog

MD - do you recall the temps?

A bad day diving beat a good day a work! :)

I'm at work right now so I don't have my log book along. But I'm pretty sure the lowest temp was 51. Most of the quarry was low to mid-50's.

Mountain Dog

Close enough on the temps. The full 7mm Artic vest makes me almost claustraphobic it is so constraining.

Have you been diving with it yet? Mine felt pretty tight across the shoulder blades when I first put it on. But once I hit the water, that sensation went away. I'm very happy with the suit now. I think a 7mm with a vest is always going to feel pretty constraining...that's a lot of neoprene.

Mountain Dog

MD - I've not been diving with the wetsuit or vest so this is all based on trying it on at home. It seems that the 3mm vest/7mm hood would be much more comfortable than a full 7mm vest/hood. I think I can deal with the shoulders being a little tight at first more than having my whole torso encased.

My hooded vest is a 5/3, and yes, I agree that this is more comfortable than a full 7mm hooded vest in addition to the 7mm suit. I found my combo to be plenty of exposure protection at Rawlings.

I ended up with this setup quite by accident, because my LDS had a closeout sale and they had the 5/3 O'Neill hooded vest for 50 bucks. Too good to pass up, and it turns out to be the perfect combo with my 7mm suit.

Mountain Dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom