What is your gear configuration for solo dives less that 50’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For me, for tomorrows dive it will be a MK2/108 on a 22” hose and necklaced, no octo (for who?), SPG.
My plate with a wing.
Compass and my el cheapo mares computer.
Two cutting devices on my waist band and a Seahawk on my lower leg (in case I find rock scallops).
I’m weighting myself fairly light with only an 18 lb weightbelt (7mm wetsuit with hooded vest). I will end up light with an empty tank at 15’.
Steel 72’s because I’ll be goat trail hiking down to a new beach I want to try.
Jet fins because I can climb over rocks and not ruin them.
So not too much gear.
What is your personal gear:comfort level ratio?
And at what depths do these change?

Close enough to mine, might have another cutting device depending. Over 100' I might drag along a pony, but I'm old, and may have a buddy.

For me, for tomorrows dive it will be a MK2/108 on a 22” hose and necklaced, no octo (for who?), SPG.
My plate with a wing.
Compass and my el cheapo mares computer.
Two cutting devices on my waist band and a Seahawk on my lower leg (in case I find rock scallops).
I’m weighting myself fairly light with only an 18 lb weightbelt (7mm wetsuit with hooded vest). I will end up light with an empty tank at 15’.
Steel 72’s because I’ll be goat trail hiking down to a new beach I want to try.
Jet fins because I can climb over rocks and not ruin them.
So not too much gear.
What is your personal gear:comfort level ratio?
And at what depths do these change?

Alternate air source? Also why only have one second stage? What if it starts to free flow and you can’t stop it and switch to another regulator?

Alternate air source? Also why only have one second stage? What if it starts to free flow and you can’t stop it and switch to another regulator?
Sip the free flow and surface...

My solo rig is the same as my buddy rig. Only change is the tank depending on planned depth. Anything within 50-60 ft I'll fly with an hp 100 and back mounted 13. 40 inch primary and air2 on the wing. Trilobite on waist and blunt 4inch BFK on inner left calf. If the site gives me a desire for deeper then I go with my hp 119 and back mounted 13. Dive the same rig for every rec dive imo. Muscle memory is best when the motions are all the same.

I had that exact scenario occur. I had just overhauled a USD Calypso IV with a 1085 2nd stage. On a solo beach dive at 40' the 2nd stage lever got hung up on the poppet stem (my bad) on inhale and would not pop back up. Air started free-flowing like crazy. I just swam up taking sips of air as needed. Ruined a beautiful dive but no danger or reason to panic.

Same as for non-solo diving, really; small doubles (2*7L 300bar), long hose, a couple of cutting devices. I'm lazy and prefer to dive the same setup always unless there are specific reasons not to.

Back
Top Bottom