What is your gear configuration for solo dives less that 50’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same as for non-solo diving, really; small doubles (2*7L 300bar), long hose, a couple of cutting devices. I'm lazy and prefer to dive the same setup always unless there are specific reasons not to.

Ooooo ahhhh mini twin HP 7L's is another dreamy setup as well.

A backplate with harness, single 15l steel, one first stage, one second stage, cutter on my hip, on my shoulder strap and a knife in my suit sleeve.

.. I’ll be goat trail hiking down to a new beach
Technology is changing so fast. We have wheelchair's that can climb stairs, Boston Dynamic's pack mules and river bank climbing tractors.
Some day soon we're going to have steep cliff like " Goat Trail Carriers ". Expensive? yes, but just like today's $8000 UW scooters, some divers will pay in order to dive jewel spots where other's can't easily reach.

Alternate air source? Also why only have one second stage? What if it starts to free flow and you can’t stop it and switch to another regulator?
You can always just press the inflate and deflate button on the BC inflator and sip some air from that as you ascend. Not something to try for the first time for real, but probably worth the effort to practice if you dive with no octopus. better than nothing if the second stages fails, rather than free flow.

Just seems irresponsible and dangerous even for 50’….it’s not like it’s even that much more gear to carry..
Wow... Big accusing words.
Warm water, hard bottom, close to shore, little to no entanglement risk, down to about 60-70 maybe a bit more momentarily.
One can take whatever gear one wants ...but in reality the gear described by the OP seems sufficient.
In fact that's similar to what I use pretty much every single weekend. Different fins, not that many cutting devices, and my tanks are HP 100's, also i don't do the necklace thing.

Just seems irresponsible and dangerous even for 50’….it’s not like it’s even that much more gear to carry..
Another second stage is technically another failure point. A MK 2 is an unbalanced very simple 1st stage with a small secured HP seat that is solid (no hole) so probability of seat failure (IP spike) is almost nil. The 108 is a basic unbalanced poppet design all metal second stage and it’s slightly tuned down so probability of a freeflow is very minimal. If a freeflow was to somehow occur it would be when tank pressure is highest at the beginning of the dive. As tank pressure drops so does IP so the incidence of freeflow would go down as the dive went on.

I keep things familiar and use my standard public safety diver configuration of BP&W, alum 80, standard reg setup, 3 cutting tools (trilobite on right shoulder, shears left hip, small blunt tip knife right hip) plus the addition of an alum 19 back mounted w/necklaced second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom