What is your gear configuration for solo dives less that 50’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[What is your gear configuration for solo dives no deeper than 50']

... What is your personal gear:comfort level ratio?
And at what depths do these change?

My solo gear configuration for a 50 ffw walk-out shore dive is similar to yours, @Eric Sedletzky, including the 72. However, these days you will probably see me in my U.S. Divers DAAM (1st gen VDH PRAM) + VDH double-hose reg flat plate + OMS LP66.

Also, we must fly a dive flag here, so I will pull either a substantial surface float + dive flag, or my inflated DSMB (Carter) which shows a dive flag.

Oh, and for me, a snorkel always, and analog gauges (no PDC), and reel + DSMB (because of overhead boat traffic).

At 60 ffw and a bit deeper, solo, I prefer to use two Scubapro Mk 10's on a Y-valve + SS Freedom Plate + 72--two complete regulators, because here, in the large lakes in SW MO and NW AR, we will be below the second thermocline. Both regs use standard-length IP hoses.

rx7diver

I said it mitigates, not prevents…💩 still happens….just because that’s how you were initially trained doesn’t means it’s correct or safe, but whatever. I’m a minimalist as well…but if I’m going solo, I’m bringing an extra air source and some type of redundant buoyancy….because 💩 happens…
For some experienced solo divers it is a question of what gear is needed to get safely to the surface.

For solo or buddy I keep my standard setup, Freedom plate and wing, 40 inch primary and bungee backup. DSMB with reel, eezycut knife. Under 60 or so the surface is my alternate air. 60 to 75 I might add the pony, here it depends a lot on the conditions.

Bottomline, some of us feel confident making it to the surface without a second air source on a dive.

For some experienced solo divers it is a question of what gear is needed to get safely to the surface.

For solo or buddy I keep my standard setup, Freedom plate and wing, 40 inch primary and bungee backup. DSMB with reel, eezycut knife. Under 60 or so the surface is my alternate air. 60 to 75 I might add the pony, here it depends a lot on the conditions.

Bottomline, some of us feel comfident making it to the surface without a second air source on a dive.

There are a lot of dead confident people…

@Robert H. Diver,

If your SB profile is correct, you have been scuba diving for only a couple of years, correct? There is a lot to learn from folks here. Stay surprised at what you might learn.

FWIW,

rx7diver

You think I don’t know that? There are course standards for a reason (most of the time) and SDI solo requires a redundant air supply of some form. But “you do you.”

Hmmm. Having blind faith on the standards of a dive course is obviously one way to go.
Nothing wrong with blind faith, defineyly not unique to diving.

There are a lot of dead confident people…

...but were they in a minimalist rig above 50'?

You think I don’t know that? There are course standards for a reason (most of the time) and SDI solo requires a redundant air supply of some form. But “you do you.”

There was a lot of solo diving long before there was any course. I have been solo diving since my first dive in 1962, and although I was at times gearing up in the manner they advocate, well before any standard, I find their one size fits all formula unsuitable for some dives. YMMV.

Hmmm. Having blind faith on the standards of a dive course is obviously one way to go.
Nothing wrong with blind faith, defineyly not unique to diving.

There you go putting words in my mouth again.

So not too much gear.
What is your personal gear: comfort level ratio?
And at what depths do these change?
Much the same.

I generally carry a stripped down version of gear for shallower water, rocky or wave entry; or, like you, hiking in to some remote site (think Big Sur) -- from surf-style wetsuits; to tanks (generally 72s in lieu of 100s) to BCs; and my regulators may or may not have octopuses attached, given that some typically just live on pony bottles. Since I service my own gear and am thorough about it, I am not concerned about some malfunctioning single second stage, as others on this thread have already cautioned.

My last mechanical issue, years back, resulted from the idiocy of a local dive shop -- never again.

Below 20-25 meters -- having had controlled ascents from some deep water, in the past -- I'll typically carry a 19 c.f. pony bottle for those deeper dives; a bulkier BC; and, usually, the typical array of cutting implements for either option, leaning more toward EMT shears and line cutters nowadays than the knives of the past . . .

Back
Top Bottom