What is your gear configuration for solo dives less that 50’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t carry any special gear for a shallow solo dive. For something like a solo cave dive, I’ll have doubles and an AL-80 as a buddy bottle. But, all that isn’t necessary for a shallow open-water dive.

I couldn’t care less about some agency’s ‘standards.’ I was doing solo dives before there even was a solo diver certification. (I should be grandfathered in.) But, of course that won’t happen because they can’t make money off of that. This has been a trend in the industry to keep creating new certifications for stuff and then trying to get divers that we’re already doing those dives to get certified. Dry suit diver, DVP Pilot, Stage diver and of course Solo diver are just some examples. I don’t wear a snorkel either. I’m just waiting to see the Sans Snorkel certification be offered.

If equipment is properly maintained, failure rates are extremely low. Most out of air issues are related to either skills or poor maintenance.

The majority of my solo dives are up here in the Pac NW / BC so my drysuit serves as a redundant buoyancy option. I carry 3 cutting tools, one of which are EMT shears that will cut through stainless steel downrigger cable... Spare mask in my drysuit hip pocket, DSMB. I also bring a spare mask and fin strap just in case one breaks after a long hike to the shore.

For that depth, I use a HP Steel 102 with a 19 pony. Primary reg is Apeks ATX200 and Pony is a Mares Navy 22 Abyss. Air 2 as my primary alt option. For dives to 100 or deeper, I use the same configuration other than uping to my HP 120...... with the same 19 Pony.

The main thing I do that's different from a lot of folks is that have a dedicated SPG on my pony rig so I can montor pony pressure during the dive. I also have a spare puck style spare computer on a wrist mount that's attached to a D ring.... in case of a primary computer failure.

CVn9mnH.jpg

5wzCCzr.jpg

For me, for tomorrows dive it will be a MK2/108 on a 22” hose and necklaced, no octo (for who?), SPG.
50 feet is quite shallow. An emergency ascent should be easy to perform (I've actually done it and it wasn't too bad).
One reg and a SPG is enough. Having two independent systems is better though: no need to abort the dive would the reg flood or fall off.
Two cutting devices on my waist band and a Seahawk on my lower leg (in case I find rock scallops).
Two or three cutting devices (depending on the site). No-one wants to get entangled and stuck when diving solo.
Types of cutting devices do vary from knives to wire cutters or a saw, but at least one with a serrated edge is a must.
I’m weighting myself fairly light with only an 18 lb weightbelt (7mm wetsuit with hooded vest). I will end up light with an empty tank at 15’.
Sounds familiar.

There are a lot of dead confident people…
There are dead divers with and without redundancy. The gear doesn’t make you skilled. Experience and the ability to deal with the unexpected makes competent/confident divers.

Some might say it is complacency that kills.

Your question should be when experienced divers vary from the “standard” is this complacency? I say not when the diver has the skills to vary from the standard.

There are dead divers with and without redundancy. The gear doesn’t make you skilled. Experience and the ability to deal with the unexpected makes competent/confident divers.

Some might say it is complacency that kills.

Your question should be when experienced divers vary from the “standard” is this complacency? I say not when the diver has the skills to vary from the standard.

When did I ever say that? You people are hilarious.

Ya know… I’ve been solo diving since 1987. Even back then, the training agencies harped about how it wasn’t safe to solo dive. To the point that I’ve even had non-divers come up to me as I was gearing up and tell me it isn’t safe to dive alone. The entire world believes it’s not safe to dive alone because of them. There are numerous sites that are off-limits to solo divers because of them. They have zero authority, but it hasn’t stopped them from trying to force their will on everyone else with their ‘standards.’ Other groups are following their lead. I’ve been told it’s not safe to hike alone, mountain bike alone, or swim alone.

Now, after all these years, it’s safe to dive alone. But only because there’s a solo diving course for $. So now you can go take a course from some instructor that’s been diving for a couple years, and suddenly it’s now safe.

If it wasn’t safe then, it isn’t safe now. If it’s safe now, it was safe then. So let’s just admit it was a made-up rule with no basis in fact. Drop the whole charade and leave solo divers to dive in peace.

I applaud the guts it took to be the first agency to admit the mistake, but now it’s time to drop the whole anti-solo thing completely.

Ya know… I’ve been solo diving since 1987.

Now, after all these years, it’s safe to dive alone. But only because there’s a solo diving course for $. So now you can go take a course from some instructor that’s been diving for a couple years, and suddenly it’s now safe.

If it wasn’t safe then, it isn’t safe now. If it’s safe now, it was safe then. So let’s just admit it was a made-up rule with no basis in fact. Drop the whole charade and leave solo divers to dive in peace.
I took up UW photography, early on; and nothing quite turns you into an instant solo diver, more than framing, focusing, and taking shots, while most everyone else is kicking up a storm and reliving the last reel of Thunderball . . .

I took up UW photography, early on; and nothing quite turns you into an instant solo diver...
Actually, being the buddy of an UW photographer turns you into one pretty fast -- I could be wrestling a giant octopus and my buddy wouldn't notice while taking 25 pictures of a lobster. :)

That's what started me looking at solo diving procedures. (To be fair, my buddy has now gotten better about keeping an eye on me)

I happen to be very funny, I make my grandmidget belly-laugh everytime we are together.
I also happen to be a very cautious diver, doesn't mean nothing will happen to me. But I'm ready to deal with most of the things that may happen.
Ya know… I’ve been solo diving since 1987. Even back then, the training agencies harped about how it wasn’t safe to solo dive. To the point that I’ve even had non-divers come up to me as I was gearing up and tell me it isn’t safe to dive alone. The entire world believes it’s not safe to dive alone because of them. There are numerous sites that are off-limits to solo divers because of them. They have zero authority, but it hasn’t stopped them from trying to force their will on everyone else with their ‘standards.’ Other groups are following their lead. I’ve been told it’s not safe to hike alone, mountain bike alone, or swim alone.

I applaud the guts it took to be the first agency to admit the mistake, but now it’s time to drop the whole anti-solo thing completely.
Now it is only safe if you take half a dive shop and at least a small kitchen sink, preferible a full size one .
Then again, some one will come along a say you are hilarious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom