What is your gear configuration for solo dives less that 50’

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously, not that I was not before, my solo rig used to be an Argonaut DH backed by a buddy bottle. My plate for colder water is a stainless Freedom Plate and for warm water either the Oxy Ultralight or a VDH plate. My wing for colder water is a 30 pounds lift Oxy Mach V and for warm water an 18 Oxy or 22 pounds VDH wing.

I have shown this pic before but it is my typical colder water outfit:

I am embarking on a dive planned for 100 feet on the Zebulon Pike wreck in TRL. It is cold down there so I have on my heavy suit, Freedom Plate, 30 pounds Oxy wing, buddy bottle, three cutting devices (there are entanglement hazards), one being a Tekna Knife and the other a line cutter and on the buddy bottle backside is a pair of sheers. This rig is extremely sleek and tangle free and robust. The Argonaut easily handles the high forties water temps at depth. At this time I am using an old Mark V first and Oceanic pancake second stage. The cylinder is an LP Faber 84 pumped up nice and tight!

If I were doing this dive today I would be running a single Scubapro G250 with a 40 inches hose and angle swivel under my arm and on a Mark 25 first for back gas and for the buddy bottle I have since upgraded that second stage to a R190 or a Jetstream.

Seriously, not that I was not before, my solo rig used to be an Argonaut DH backed by a buddy bottle. My plate for colder water is a stainless Freedom Plate and for warm water either the Oxy Ultralight or a VDH plate. My wing for colder water is a 30 pounds lift Oxy Mach V and for warm water an 18 Oxy or 22 pounds VDH wing.

I have shown this pic before but it is my typical colder water outfit:

I am embarking on a dive planned for 100 feet on the Zebulon Pike wreck in TRL. It is cold down there so I have on my heavy suit, Freedom Plate, 30 pounds Oxy wing, buddy bottle, three cutting devices (there are entanglement hazards), one being a Tekna Knife and the other a line cutter and on the buddy bottle backside is a pair of sheers. This rig is extremely sleek and tangle free and robust. The Argonaut easily handles the high forties water temps at depth. At this time I am using an old Mark V first and Oceanic pancake second stage. The cylinder is an LP Faber 84 pumped up nice and tight!

If I were doing this dive today I would be running a single Scubapro G250 with a 40 inches hose and angle swivel under my arm and on a Mark 25 first for back gas and for the buddy bottle I have since upgraded that second stage to a R190 or a Jetstream.
What size is that pony?
For over 50’ for me the only thing that would change would be I’d put my G200B on a MK5 or my MK20 on my main tank and the pony would get the MK2/R095.
Less than 50’ no pony.

Sorry. Wrong forum...

What size is that pony?
For over 50’ for me the only thing that would change would be I’d put my G200B on a MK5 or my MK20 on my main tank and the pony would get the MK2/R095.
Less than 50’ no pony.

That one is a 19 cf. I also use a 30 cf bottle.

Entanglement concerns aside, some places that is a real concern, others it is more imagined, the depth to which I consider going solo without a buddy bottle or redundancy used to be my (easy) free dive depth capability which was about 60 feet. I think I would now cut that to 30 feet :wink: for myself. Thirty feet or less, the surface is my go to. If it is dark water and especially with real entanglement concerns then I will have my buddy bottle or IDs regardless of depth.

Perhaps pertinent to a solo discussion of buddy bottle or not, redundancy or not and what actually represents redundancy, the "drowning" incident of last summer has changed my considerations on procedures, equipment and a few other things like priorities when SHTF. Like for example, what is more important, dealing with an air delivery problem and switching to my alternate or futzing with my camera? Or is the bull shark that has been pestering me and now hanging beneath me more of a concern or is that my lungs just aspirated water and now I have a laryngeal spasm closing my airway more of a concern at near 90 feet seawater or that I have now acquired a deco obligation due to delay and inability to ascend. See, sometimes little things snowball into big things. The short of it is that acknowledging that I am not what I used to be or even close (if I ever was), I am much more likely to utilize a buddy bottle equipped with a solid high performance regulator and my used to be go to primary regulators, well, some have been relegated to exhibition status at least for the moment. And a reordering of priorities, like, okay, we are not getting air but water instead, let's go ahead and switch to alternate before trying to double secure our camera and stowing it and maybe wait on shooting that dsmb instead of dropping it into the blue. Let me add, if the airway closes, all the redundancy in the world will do no good because at this point bud, we in a heap o' trouble! Air is primary, everything else is secondary!

Moving ahead. Since I had long ago given away all of my long favored and super reliable Conshelf regulators I could not return to my past. I was in a quandary. What to do. But then I looked in my spares and remembering I had a pile of NIB Mark V type first stages and a friend who is a G250 expert, well, my main regulators now are G250s with Mark V type first stages or a Mark 25.

The sun is setting on me, my days have become shorter, but not that short nor that soon. Just have to acknowledge reality and make some adjustments. The seas are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and dives to go before I sleep, and places to go before I sleep:

James

I am an inland diver, so my conditions are a lot easier in many regards. With that being said, I dive steel BM doubles. Solo dives less than 100' I don't usually add anything unless the dive is going to be a long one. Below 100, I add slung bottles. I always carry multiple cutting devices, lights, etc.

DW

What it comes down to for me is a concept that I've been teaching in Tree Work safety for years: Always do things with "considered risk"

Simply put, everything we do contains some element of risk, whether it bet getting out of bed in the morning or solo free-diving under the ice at night. Whether we do them or not is determined by what we consider the risks to be and whether we find them acceptable or not.

For example nobody thinks twice about getting into their car and driving down the road yet the risk of injury or death is ever present. Most of us through training and practice have discovered the myriad risks, have learned to compensate for them whether through skill, planning, or decision making, and no longer give driving a second thought.

But the key is whether we "consider" them fully and analytically, and what actions we may take to mitigate those risks. We all know the fidiot that has no clue what they are doing or why and is one step away from disaster. And when it all goes wrong they have that stupefied look of "what the hell that happened!"

My employees and students are all familiar with the principle of not ever being surprised when something goes wrong. It is a mortal sin in my company for them to say, "I didn't think that would happen!"

It's a sin because it means they hadn't given due consideration to what they were about to do and its consequences including the risks. I've always told them I would much rather have them explain a failure/accident/near miss with, "I considered it a possibility but discounted it for these reasons..." even if their reasoning was flawed.

Yes, sometimes things do occur that we can't conceive or consider. These are usually due to the things we don't know that we don't know. Of course we cannot learn without going into that territory sometimes.

But by applying the concept of considered risk we reduce the number of such events or at least only venture into areas that are only somewhat unfamiliar. In that way we can still draw on what we considered to respond/recover and at least have some influence on the outcome rather than wholesale disaster.

So, for my solo-diving that's how I approach it, I consider the risk, mitigate it as best I can, and ask questions that help me discover what I don't know so I can then ask the right questions. I take it one step at a time and venture into each unknown in turn

I'm a very analytical person so the process by which I came to my dive "mission rules" and kit selection may be considered overkill, but it allows me to dive solo with confidence, and I believe, greater safety than if I were relying on a buddy.

So, here's my current solo-dive mission rules and kit based upon my considered risk analysis:

Mission Rules:
  • No solo-dive in water deeper than 45 feet
    • I have practiced and succeeded in doing an emergency ascent without freaking out from that depth
  • End dive when planned, <750psi in tank, or after 120 minutes, whichever occurs first.
    • These are my personal, arbitrary, limits
  • Restrict total dive time per day based upon my known physical endurance
    • <=15 feet max: 6 hours max
    • >15 <20 feet: 4 hours max
    • >20 feet: 2 hours max
  • All events that have cost me dearly were preceded with a string of non-critical events. I've since adopted this 3-strike rule.
    • One non-critical event/failure is typical, remain vigilant, continue dive as normal
    • Two events is a warning from the cosmos to increase vigilance and prepare to abort/cancel dive with out notice.
    • three events is the cosmos saying it is time to go home. Abort/cancel the dive immediately as safely as possible
    • Non-critical event examples include
      • injury in or out of water
      • any single episode of controlled hyperventilation
      • excessive difficulty donning gear
      • forgotten/missing/dropped/lost gear
      • frustration/irritation/crankiness
    • Abort/Cancel dive for one or two events when coupled with a sense of forcing the dive or otherwise a feeling of "pushing a rope", especially before entering the water.
  • End dive immediately when any of these are true:
    • Use of redundant air system for any reason
    • Failure of BC
    • Loss of mask
    • Loss of both computers
    • three non-critical strikes (see above)
    • sixth-sense/not feeling it
    • forcing the dive or otherwise "pushing the rope"
    • Any time a decision to "do JUST one more..."
Kit:
  • Primary air system: Two color coded second stages with isolation valves.
    • Octo worn on necklace.
  • Redundant air system: One Second stage with isolation valve.
    • Minimum 19cuft
      • Tripled my average SAC to account for a panic situation
      • Calculated the amount of air necessary at that SAC to do a normal ascent from 45 feet with a safety stop and then doubled it.
  • All regulator brands/models consistent across primary and redundant air sources
    • First stages, environmentally sealed Zeagle FH-VI (arbitrary choice)
      • less likelihood of first stage freeze up (most water temps here in the <65*f)
    • Second stages Zeagle ZX (arbitrary choice)
  • Drysuit
    • redundant buoyancy
    • reduced physiological stress due to being wet and cold
  • Positively Buoyant fins
    • in case I have the dropsies
  • AI Computer with electronic compass
    • backup analog backup compass
    • Redundant SPG/AI computer
  • Cutting Tools: Shoulder mount ambidextrous release serrated knife with line hook, EMT shears in pocket.
  • DD Flag

Primary air system: Two color coded second stages with isolation valves.
Is an isolation valve a thing that turns off the gas, a “free flow control device” as some call it? I’ve always found those a bit scary, as the time when you grab the octo or pony is not the time when you want to discover the need to fiddle with one more thing to get air. Is the benefit in controlling a free flow greater than this additional risk/annoyance?

Is an isolation valve a thing that turns off the gas, a “free flow control device” as some call it? I’ve always found those a bit scary, as the time when you grab the octo or pony is not the time when you want to discover the need to fiddle with one more thing to get air. Is the benefit in controlling a free flow greater than this additional risk/annoyance?

Really it is not any different than the training and practice to deal with the "scary" process of taking your primary second stage out and desperately trying to find your octo when you first learned to dive. Once you learned your gear, you trained with it until deploying it became second nature. Same with adding something like these valves to the process you need to learn your gear, train with it and eventually deploying it will become second nature.

This is the norm for any high-hazard activity, learn your gear, know your gear, and when you make changes to your gear practice with it low and slow until you have it down pat. Otherwise it has no place on your kit when within the hazardous activity.

If someone is diving and gets discombobulated trying to execute basic operations with any part of their system, especially their emergency gear, then perhaps they should not be diving with it until they know how that gear works forwards and backwards. Whatever someone dives with, for whatever the reason, it must be part of the second nature processes and procedures, and be trained with consistently and thoroughly.

All that to wrap up by saying since I consider a second stage freeflow or undetected air seepage the greater risk/annoyance over learning how to use my gear, I think this little piece of gear is worth the very little inconvenience it might cause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom