What do you wish someone had told you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
After our first disaster trip to Cozumel we had decided to give it a second chance. Reading all the threads and advice made me wonder....what do you wish someone had told you? Thanks! Bill

Hmmm...good question. One would be...you should have come here sooner if you are looking for a good deal and warm weather. My travel agent urged me for years to come and I kept demurring. Harder to get to from where I live than some other destinations. I wish someone had told me how cheap it was if you don't want to live like a cruise ship tourist. I wish someone had told me just to withdraw my money from ATMs instead of hauling down US$, pesos or travellers cheques. I wish someone had told me about the awesome dive ops (better than any I experienced anywhere else I had dived). I wish someone had told me about collectivos but then that's not something most tourists fuss about. What made your first trip a disaster?

I did a ton of research and have zero regrets and am headed back down in April for my 3rd visit. You pose a pretty loaded question and it really depends on what a person values in a dive vacation/trip.- (I am assuming that this is a dive vacation related question).

I think Cozumel provides anything that anyone would want, as long as they know what they are looking for!

So, unless you despise great food, great tequila, great dive ops, great diving, great accommodations, great people and culture... I am not sure how you could go wrong with Coz?

I hope to retire there, personally. Only things to consider in my opinion, would be the following:
1. If shore diving is totally your thing, this is not your place. (This is the only thing that has me reconsidering my retirement options).
2. Plan your day, dive, travel, nightlife plans around the cruise ship onslaught.

Cozumel is safe, accessible to the US, tremendous value and world class diving!

I wish someone had told me to stay away from anything uncooked (salads and such). I knew about the water, and to check if it is purified at your hotel/restaurant (even the ice). I was fine all week, until I saw everyone else enjoying salad and assumed it was OK. Wasn't OK for me :(

I wish someone had told me the winning lottery numbers before the drawing.

I wish someone had told me to stay away from anything uncooked (salads and such). I knew about the water, and to check if it is purified at your hotel/restaurant (even the ice). I was fine all week, until I saw everyone else enjoying salad and assumed it was OK. Wasn't OK for me :(
Very good comment gr8jab!- Definitely something to always keep in mind when traveling. Although I have been fortunate to not have any issues with raw foods/salads in Cozumel, it should always be a consideration. I have had my fair share of issues in Asia, South Pacific and Central America in the last 30 years. I never drink from the tap and only brush my teeth with bottled/purified water.

There's so much info. on Cozumel aspects one could choke on it, get brain fried trying to research it. I'd want a concise but 'what I need to know' organized summary to tell me:

1.) The pro.s & con.s of staying at the north end of town, vs. the more mainstream area (e.g.: Hotel Cozumel), vs. the southern A.I. resorts.

2.) The 3 (right?) op. offering 120 cf steel tanks.

3.) A list of reputable 'diver approved' hotels organized by northern, mainstream & the southern A.I. resorts, with a list of reputable restaurants broken down into categories by which hotels they are reasonable walking distance from; ditto for the 'Walmart-like' variety stores. Having those hotels organized from budget to more upscale would be nice.

4.) I've read it said Scuba Club Cozumel offers 2 morning dives, and if enough divers are interested an afternoon dive, but if not enough sign on, there'll be no afternoon dive. If I go somewhere planning a big dive count, I want to know how it might be compromised.

5.) I'd want to know about large regional competitions creating a risk to shut down the harbor and possibly some dive op.s (e.g.: the Iron Man thing).

6.) I'd want to know some points of discrimination; I've read Dive with Martin is a great budget op., 3 op.s have steel 120's, etc...

7.) The pro.s & con.s of the Cancun 'bag drag' vs. more expensive direct flights into Cozumel.

8.) To be warned about the dangers of trying to ride a scooter there, judging from what others have said.

Richard.

Back rolls versus giant strides? - depends on the size of the boat

Do you want a cover on the boat? Some small boats don't have covers and larger ones only part of it.

You don't have to do swim throughs - go over the top and meet on the other side. Get your signals straight with the DM prior.

Set expectations with the dive op - If they can't do it, pick another.

Don't fight current.

Pay taxis in Pesos.

Everything already said.

Plan around what caused your disaster. You didn't say what it was. What I've said is only dive related.

When are the port closed for events? I've got friends wanting to go this November. Anyone on this thread know?

Back
Top Bottom