What does an annual cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're relatively new. Give it a few years and we'll see how the numbers add up. I sure wouldn't buy a regulator that would need to be replaced frequently. I've used the same Mares reg for 11 years and haven't had an issue (and had it serviced once, for fun, and for free). So Hoggy Style is cheap. Cool. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 05:36 PM ----------

I dove a Mares MR12 Axis for 6 years without servicing. All that money saved paid for my Hogs.

Let me know when you've got 6 years on your Hoggy without service if it makes it that long

I do not own HOG. But it seems to me the "magical" thing about them is VALUE. It seems you get a lot of high performance and customer support for not much $$$. What have you got to compete with that?

Insults masked as knowledge.

i some how cant see it making a season with me as im clocking up around 400 dives a year so ill leave them for the weekend warriors
ill stick to atomics & aqualungs

I think the last time I had my doubles regs serviced, it was about $125 per first stage/second stage set. It's one of the reasons I'm getting rid of my SP regs, no matter how much I like them.

That's where I am... I have a Zeagle set that breathes as well as my SP's with a much lower cost of ownership.

Nevermind.

Last edited:
They're relatively new. Give it a few years and we'll see how the numbers add up. I sure wouldn't buy a regulator that would need to be replaced frequently. I've used the same Mares reg for 11 years and haven't had an issue (and had it serviced once, for fun, and for free). So Hoggy Style is cheap. Cool. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

In one of the other threads here in the regs forum somebody posted a comparison of the Apeks and HOG regs.

Having used Apeks regs for over 20 years (including helping service them), and recently seeing a HOG taken appart, it is very clear just how faithfull a copy of the Apeks the Hog really is (they are like identical twins....). I do actually wonder if Hog rebuild kits will work on an Apeks..........

The Hog looks like it is made of good quality materials, particularly the chrome plated brass bits. Some of the plastic bits do look a bit thinner and more flimsy however.

All this talk about replacing them frequently seems misplaced. If these clones are even halfway a good as the original then they need just to be serviced every couple of years, and they will give good service for a very long time. Especially as HOG organise rebuilding workshops for normal customers!

Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery........ (Colton IIRC)

Best

Jon

[h=1]Product Review: HOG Regulators[/h] By Duane Johnson | Product Reviews

This summer I had an opportunity to test out the new Highly Optimized Gear (HOG) D1 cold water regulator. A dive store, who sells them, sent me a first and second stage and asked me to dive them for a while to give them my feedback on how they performed when compared to my Scubapro and Apeks regulators. If you’ve read a few of my other product reviews, you’ll know that I am very leery of new products unless they can solve a reoccurring problem.
[h=3]HOG Regulators – My Initial Thoughts[/h]
The dive store sent me the HOG D1 cold water first stage with the 5th low pressure port on the end of the first stage and the standard HOG second stage. When I pulled them out of the box, my initial thought was they were Apeks clones. The body of the first stage looks pretty close to an Apeks DST first stage (minus the 5th LP port). Both first stages are the swivel style first stages. The HOG first stage has a plastic (delrin or some other kind) DIN handwheel. I had similar ones on my Apeks DS4 first stages that I replaced with brass ones after they broke after a year of use. So I wasn’t impressed with the DIN handwheel. [h=3]Testing the HOG regulators on a Single Tank[/h]
When I put together my testing plan for this regulator, I wanted to compare it to the regulators that I already know quite a bit about. Those are the Apeks and Scubapro. I’ll first start off by saying that I did not alter the intermediate pressure (IP) of the HOG first stage. On my Apeks first stages, I have tuned the IP to about 10-15 psi lower than the manufacturer suggests due to the cold water I constantly dive in. I first put this reg on one of my single tank rigs and took it to my local quarry for a few shallow water dives in the 20 to 50 foot range. Water temps were in the 50F range. I did four dives in one day and the HOG regulator performed equally to my Apeks in terms of work of breathing (WoB) and gas delivery. However, my Scubapro regulators have always had an easier WoB and gas delivery. The HOG did not perform the same as my Scubapro MK25 with G250 second stage. Scubapro wins hands down, even when compared to my Apeks. Hose routing was the same on the HOG as my Scubapro due to the 5th LP port on the end of the first stage.
[h=3]Testing the HOG regulators on Doubles[/h]
Next up I wanted to see how the HOG regulator compared to my Apeks on my double tank configuration. I put an Apeks on my backup post and the HOG on my primary post. With this setup, I was able to switch between the two regulators while on a dive. Water temps and depths were the same. Modified S-drills went OK. The valve drill is where the HOG regulator gave me problems. The HOG D1 first stage is about an inch longer than my Apeks DS4 first stages. The HP inlet pipe is in the middle of the first stage body. This means that when the regulator is on a tank in a horizontal or slightly angled position (like when on doubles), one end of the regulator sticks out and can interfere when trying to reach the valve handle. I found on every effort at performing a valve shut down, I either grabbed the first stage body or the first stage body didn’t allow for easy access to the valve knob. I did notice a change on deeper dives. My Apeks regulators had an easier WoB and delivered a good volume of gas. I felt that with the HOG, I had to work slightly harder at breathing. I’m not talking about anything extreme here. Just a slight difference. WoB is critical. If you have a high WoB, then carbon dioxide can build up and lead to blacking out.
[h=3]Testing the HOG regulators on Deco/Stage Bottles[/h]
Let me start this section off by saying that I do not like my Apeks DST first stage on a deco or stage bottle. I find that the first stage sticks out and interferes with access to the valve knob on the bottle. The HOG regulator had this same problem. Why is this a problem for me? I dive in very cold water (i.e. low 30s Fahrenheit). Free flows are a constant worry for us. When a free flow happens on a deco or stage bottle, we “feather” the valve. That is keep it turned off when we are exhaling, then slightly crack it open when taking a breath. When “feather” the valve on a deco/stage bottle, it is critical to be able to keep your hand on the knob. My Scubapro regulators do not stick out and interfere with the valve knob. [h=3]My Overall Thoughts[/h]
During my testing of the HOG regulator, I did 32 dives with it in moderately cold water. Depth ranges were from 20 feet down to 100 feet. I did not take the regulator into a more aggressive environment (i.e. deep tech dive or wreck penetration). I’m very leery of taking new, untested gear on extreme dives. So I can’t speak intelligently on how they perform at deeper depths. Overall, the HOG D1 coldwater regulator performed similar to my Apeks. There were slight differences that I noticed about WoB and position of the first stage. Otherwise, the HOG and Apeks were similar. When comparing the HOG to my Scubapro, there is no comparison. The Scubapro had an easeir WoB and gas delivery. The Scubapro also beat the HOG in first stage placement as the Scubapro doesn’t stick out as far as the HOG and interfere with reaching a valve knob. The only down side to Scubapro is that they can free flow quite easily in very cold water. Which is why I use Apeks on my doubles and Scubapro on my deco bottles.
While the HOG regulator was fine, I can’t justify replacing my Apeks and Scubapro regulators. The primary reason is that I can work on my Apeks regulators. Since the HOG and Apeks are very similar, I can’t see spending a bunch of money on another regulator repair class for something that I already can do. HOG is the only company that allows their customers to learn how to rebuild the regulators, but it is limited to technical divers only. I haven’t looked at the course in great detail, so I don’t know the specifics.
When I look online, I’m seeing the HOG regulators being sold as a cheaper alternative to Apeks. I can’t justify the cost of replacing my Apeks with HOGs. Especially considering that my Apeks have performed flawlessly for me in the eight years I’ve owned them. There is nothing new or innovative about the HOG regulators. While the HOG regulators are cheaper than Apeks and Scubapro, if that is their only selling advantage, I’ll pass. If you are looking for a cheap regulator to use in shallow depths, the HOG is fine. But if you are looking for a regulator with great work of breathing, then I’d stick with Scubapro and Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom