What does an annual cost you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In
All this talk about replacing them frequently seems misplaced.

When I suggest replacing a Hog or anything for that matter, I'm not implying it's worn out junk, I'm just making an economic decision of whether it's better to repair something or replace something. If something is $1000 and $100 to repair and something else is $300 and $100 to repair it's much closer. Now throw in resale values on eBay and before you know it things start to make sense.

can we get back to the OP's inquiry about service cost?

Sure!

I forgot to add that this year I payed roughly 80€ for two first stages (Apeks DST) and two second stages (Apeks TX40) in Luxembourg.

Jon

---------- Post added August 16th, 2013 at 02:34 PM ----------

When I suggest replacing a Hog or anything for that matter, I'm not implying it's worn out junk, I'm just making an economic decision of whether it's better to repair something or replace something. If something is $1000 and $100 to repair and something else is $300 and $100 to repair it's much closer. Now throw in resale values on eBay and before you know it things start to make sense.

:cool2: It wasn't targetting anybody in particular, more a general "I hate the general throw-away society".

However, I thought that the whole point of HOGs was that you could service them yourselves, and even get official training on doing it - for me that sounds like an additional selling point. What could be wrong with a reg that is a well made copy of a very good design, that is cheap, and that you can (with the manufacturers approval) service yourself.

Getting back to the OP - how much does a HOG rebuild kit cost? I am sure that this would change your equation further @chrpai

Best

Jon

The rebuild kits are affordable. There is an investment in tools and training though. Then there is the immeasurable "experience" factor. A tech diver rebuilding 6 regs every year vs me rebuilding my 1 reg every 2 years. For me, I'm not sure that's a smart move. I would love to take a pizza and beverage of choice over to AWAPs though! :)

Many branches on this logic chart.

It costs me time. I am in parts for life w/my SP regs and the shop allows me to service them on their bench. I do a few others from time to time to help them out, but not near all they get in...just enough to keep current, so to speak.

---

The worst thing (for me) about the HOG regs is actually Scubaboard. It seems like every reg thread, no matter what it's about, ends up in a pissing match starting with "BUY HOG!" It's exhausting.

I have a long-term HOG "loaner" from a buddy that I use from time to time. It's not a bad reg! It's much better than I expected, but it's not the be-all end-all to me. I agree with Chrpai on this: At HOG's price point, I would not service it either. eBay it and buy a new one makes more sense.

Typically I pay about $120 for a 1st, and two 2nd stages. Includes parts and labor.

This is about what I pay as well, I chose to go the "every two years" route at a "non-authorized" good shop vs every year at an authorized shop with free parts that I wasn't super happy with. For the record, it cost me about 60 a year with free parts so my end cost is the same.

I paid $98 for my servicing this year - Scubapro MK17/G250v and an R295 octo.

The shop where I get them serviced (they actually contract out) increased the price on me this year as I usually paid around $75, so I was feeling a bit peeved about the jump in price until I saw what other people pay!

I'm in the parts for life program and have been since I bought the regs in 2009. I've been questioning the value since a lot of people without SP regs service much less frequently than I do.

The worst thing (for me) about the HOG regs is actually Scubaboard. It seems like every reg thread, no matter what it's about, ends up in a pissing match starting with "BUY HOG!" It's exhausting.

It's just a passing phase or a fad.

10 years ago on Scubaboard it was Apeks, Apeks, Apeks.............

Jon

Looking at eBay anything with a Scubapro name seems to command high bids. It seems like its would make sense to buy a 1st and 2nd and cycle them…

So these: Scubapro MK11/C200 Regulator White, Yoke | LeisurePro sell for $190 on ebay (closed listings some higher some lower).

Which means you can have a brand new reg set for effectively $60 a year (or what ever period you deem fit) + ebay/Paypal fees.

Buy low and sell high. If it passes inspection and has good IP lockup, dive it. Still worried? Carry redundancy.

There are many strategies to drive the cost of ownership down. You don't have to do "annuals". :)

Jon,

Are HOGs really cheap on your side ? Personally I see no point in getting HOG if you are in Europe, from what I have seen they are about the same price as reputable brands like SP, Apeks or Aqualung. And you can get parts.

HOGs are a big deal here in NA because SP and Aqualung keep inflated prices. Having said that if one can get a SP or Apeks at a gray market price here I also see HOG losing it's price advantage.

Sure!

I forgot to add that this year I payed roughly 80€ for two first stages (Apeks DST) and two second stages (Apeks TX40) in Luxembourg.

Jon

---------- Post added August 16th, 2013 at 02:34 PM ----------

:cool2: It wasn't targetting anybody in particular, more a general "I hate the general throw-away society".

However, I thought that the whole point of HOGs was that you could service them yourselves, and even get official training on doing it - for me that sounds like an additional selling point. What could be wrong with a reg that is a well made copy of a very good design, that is cheap, and that you can (with the manufacturers approval) service yourself.

Getting back to the OP - how much does a HOG rebuild kit cost? I am sure that this would change your equation further @chrpai

Best

Jon

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom