What Does Every Human Being Share?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4sak3n

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you were to pinpoint one quality, attribute or habituated activity that all humans share, what would it be?

I am not talking about biological imperatives. Yes, every single human being breathes, excretes, sweats and sleeps but this is by necessity rather than choice, cultural conditioning or habituated responses.

So, if you were to choose one thing that all (within reason here ... I'm sure that the 0.000000001% of the population who don't have specific taste buds would count if you were to choose enjoying food for example) that either is inherent to all humans or which exemplifies what it means to be human, what would it be?

If my rather wordy explanation is, well, wordy, some examples might help. Some responses might include the need for company, the desire to communicate, curiosity, an appreciation of art or the urge to excel.

:D

Self-Preservation......

Denial and self-deception.

I believe that every human being, whether it be an Inuit in a tiny village in Alaska, a Polynesian on a remote Pacific island, a stock broker on Wall Street, an Islamic extremist in Yemen, a Mormon polygamist in a desert in Utah, shares an unshakable conviction that Starbucks charges way too much for a cup of coffee.

To reproduce

<edit> possibly just practicing is enough without actually reproducing </edit?

Every human being is the repository of an irreducible dignity.

Back
Top Bottom