What Does PADI 5 Star Really Mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though I don't know what a 5 star PADI center is I agree with Walter that it's an advertising gimmick. I've seen 5 star car dealerships etc. but never the 1-4 star whatever. I don't think it's a sign of quality.

If a shop does not have the 5 Star, are they limited on their courses they train or specialize in?

Only in Assistant Instructor and higher Pro Levels, although there are exceptions to that. I would say local interest/geography/weather is a more limiting factor to what is offered.

I guess I get it, but dont... Like there is this shop in the valley that some DiveMasters work at, but that shop isnt an IDC center, so the staff has to utilize a diff shop.

5 Star and IDC are completely different?

Like just cuz youre an IDC doesnt mean your going to be 5 Star?

It is not a rating. It's an advertising gimmick.

Prerequisites & Requirements With my comments in blue. Yes they are my opinions; accept or reject them as you please.

1. Have been a renewed PADI Dive Center for at least 12 months and have no verified PADI Quality Assurance violations within that period and no open quality assurance inquires in progress.

This means you've been paying dues for at least a year and haven't been caught violating standards.

2. Continue to meet all PADI Dive Center prerequisites and membership requirements.

You can't fall below the standards we set for those to whom we don't give 5 stars.

3. Have been awarded all three Dive Center Recognition Awards including: 1) Education, You get this for churning out lots of students (quality doesn't count, only numbers. It is important to keep students returning for more classes). You also must give all your business to PADI. You must buy all the training materials PADI sells. You can't win this award if you've been caught violating standards. 2) Community Involvement You sponsor 2 events. One promotes diving, the other promotes diver safety. 3)Environment. You get this by displaying Project AWARE info, include environmental info in newsletters, sponsor a beach cleanup, install a mooring buoy or sponsor a project that generates information about the aquatic environment. Teach a course on Peak Performance Buoyancy (a BS course IMHO), U/W Naturalist, Project AWARE or Research Diver.

4. Distribute regular communications pieces designed to recruit & retain customers.

Advertise

5. Conduct at least one PADI Advanced O/W course, one PADI Rescue Dive course, one PADI DM or AI course and one PADI Specialty Diver course per year

Keep that $ coming.

6. Have issued at least 30% of total diver certifications for courses above the PADI O/W level.

7. Display items promoting dive travel, and promote dive experiences through various activities.

8. Conduct nontraining related local dive tours and/or dive travel trips.

9. Exclusively issue and advertise only PADI certifications for recreational scuba diving courses.

We don’t make any money when you issue cards from other agencies. We want all your business.

10. Not conduct, sponsor or advertise any non PADI recreational scuba instructor training programs.

See # 9.

11. Use the PADI system of diver education as designed, including all PADI manuals……..

You gotta buy all our stuff.

12. Ensure that all full-service dive operations in a multi-location operation are current PADI ……(various types of PADI facilities are listed)

We want dues from everybody you work with.

I can't officially comment, but........:rofl3:

You must be a PADI Five Star to do an Assistant Instructor Course
You must be a PADI Five Star and NatGeo Store to do a National Geographic Course
You must be a PADI Five Star Instructor Development Center and have a Course Director on staff to do an Instructor Course

PADI Five Star Centers get a 5% discount (above and beyond their buying level) on dealer purchases.

PADI Five Star Centers must only advertise, promote and do PADI Courses unless it is not offered by PADI.

9. Exclusively issue and advertise only PADI certifications for recreational scuba diving courses.

We don’t make any money when you issue cards from other agencies. We want all your business.

10. Not conduct, sponsor or advertise any non PADI recreational scuba instructor training programs.

See # 9.

I am not expert, but isn't that a breach of US anti-trust legislation?

If the NAUI people were smart, they'd open some 6-star dive centers. :eyebrow::D

As opposed to some of the NON PADI GURU's on this board,this is how PADI discribes the 5* facility

PADI 5 STAR DIVE CENTER
The PADI 5 Star Dive Center membership level is awarded, on an annual basis,
to progressive PADI Dive Centers that excel in providing dive consumers with
a full range of diver education programs, equipment selection, and experience
opportunities and that actively promote aquatic environmental awareness. A
PADI 5 Star Dive Center is active in its community presenting a professional image
consistent with, or better than, the norm of the marketplace. These dive centers
embrace the PADI System of diver education and are committed to providing
customers with quality products, services and experiences.
PADI 5 Star Dive Centers regularly communicate with customers and consistently
offer continuing education programs. In addition to excellent training
programs, these dive centers promote both local diving activities and dive travel
opportunities to keep divers active.
Beyond those benefi ts they already have as PADI Dive Centers, PADI 5 Star
Dive Centers can purchase PADI products at increased discount rates, receive
special recognition in PADI advertising and promotional pieces, and can issue
special gold PADI certifi cation cards.

It would be nice if questions about a cert.organisation would be answered by MEMBERS of that organisation.

As opposed to some of the NON PADI GURU's on this board,this is how PADI discribes the 5* facility

It would be nice if questions about a cert.organisation would be answered by MEMBERS of that organisation.

Well, if nothing else, that clears up one mystery for me: why the cert cards issued by my current LDS are gold but the old ones from my last LDS were blue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom