What does Type 2 Hit refer to, A form of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicaledit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious, someone mentioned that term on a different post.

Also, ive been guilty of being at a Depth of 40 foot and going up to check on the location of the boat, then going back down to finish off the dive. Is this grounds
for serious problems, or should I be relatively fine.

Thanks
OW & Nitrox (20 -25 dives)

They're referring to a level of severity of DCS, I believe.

As long as you ascend at a proper rate, you should probably be ok. Technically, you should do a safety stop, I suppose, but the real world happens. Shooting up at the end of a long dive, and then dropping right back down might be a problem...

A type 2 hit refers to getting bubbles lodged on the arterial side of the cardiovascular system. This means the bubbles can be lodged in the brain or spine.

When you ascend to quickly, bubbles try to get back to the heart on the veinous side of the system. They are too large to pass through certain spaces so they get lodged in the joints and other places. When you recompress some of these bubbles (by descending), they become small enough to pass through the system, and get pumped to the arterial side. If you ascend after these bubbles have been recompressed, you risk lodging them in the brain or spine causing paralysis or death. These bubbles take perhaps 2 minutes to move fully through the system so if you just pop down and back up again, you could be in for a rather bad day.

At least this is how it's been explained to me, and what I've found from reading different reference material. Perhaps a phsyio, or docter will care to expound or correct me.

I thought that if one or a group were to get lost during a dive, one could go to the surface to get a visual bearing on the boat, then go back down and go and continue the dive, rather than fight the current on the surface. Is this correct?

well
this very much depends on the depth and condition of the dive. generally this is rather unclever thing to do.
As to the types of DCS
DCS 1 is usually the skin type - much lighter and doesn;t need the chamber treatment
DCS 2 is the neurological one and chamber is the treatment
Mania

mania, I've also heard the joint type referred to as type 1. Which led me to believe that bubble formation that is not on the arterial side is Type 1. Again, I'm hoping for clarification by a medical professional.

If you exchange gas at depth you are in deco. Period. You fizz.

How many get the itchies in the hands after a dive?

How many go home and you are just so mellow and can sleep the day away?

Thats Class/Type 1. You have been hit.

This can be worsened by dehydration, (READ ALCOHOL/EXCERCISE/COFFEE/LAZINESS)
or a simple rapid ascent.

Hydrate. Take it slow.

After all its enjoyment. :wink:

Theres been several occasions where when I was done with the dive
I went home and slept the day away (AIR). Are you saying that I experienced some
form of DCS? - Type 1.

tropicaledit:
Theres been several occasions where when I was done with the dive
I went home and slept the day away (AIR). Are you saying that I experienced some
form of DCS? - Type 1.

Absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom