What Drift Boat Fishing is good in SE Fla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My son and I (he is 10) are going to have a go at going out on a drift boat this weekend.
I know of the following:
Bud and Mary's in the Keys
The Flamingo in FTL
Helen S. in Pompano
Blue Heron Fishing Fleet.
What boat would you folks recommend, and or what web sites might I hit for advice/ratings/reviews.

My son is 10 and he just wants to catch fish.
I want to possibly bring a cooler with soft drinks/fruit juice/ and perhaps a beer.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and experiences that you may share.

Chug
Has not been on a scow for a really long time.

There's the drift boat Sea Legs in Hollywood/Dania. I don't know how it stacks up in the drift boat heiarchy

Sea Leg's III Drift Fishing, 5390 N. Ocean Dr., Hollywood, FL 33019. 954-923-2109

There is a fleet just out of Hillsboro inlet, so you are spending less time getting to the water. Believe Fish City Pride and Helen S are the ones.

I worked on the Helen S and Fish City Pride many moons ago. I understand captain Bruce is still running the Helen S, he knows the spots well and would be a good choice to fish with. As far as beer, it wasn't allowed when I worked on the boats but that was over 20 years ago so who knows now.

Capt Chan at Gulfstream Fishing in Key Largo is a great vessel. They always catch alots of fish. Not sure of the website but Capt Chan phone number is 786-554-7224

I worked on the Helen S and Fish City Pride many moons ago. I understand captain Bruce is still running the Helen S, he knows the spots well and would be a good choice to fish with. As far as beer, it wasn't allowed when I worked on the boats but that was over 20 years ago so who knows now.

Thanks Chip.
I did not know that you were a crew[-]man[/-]person on the Helen S.
I went out with them several times 25 years ago or so.
It was a fun trip always.
The beer thing is by no means a deal breaker, I can have a fine time without booze.

I am curious though Chip.....what did you do on the boat specifically?
I was always very impressed with the way the crew kept our hooks baited with the rental rods.
How good were your skills at that activity?

Chug
Caught a bunch-a-Bonita long ago.

Another vote for Capt. Chan in Key Largo. Drift boat of choice for my women's fishing club for several years in a row...going down there in September, in fact.

Thanks Chip.
I did not know that you were a crew[-]man[/-]person on the Helen S.
I went out with them several times 25 years ago or so.
It was a fun trip always.
The beer thing is by no means a deal breaker, I can have a fine time without booze.

I am curious though Chip.....what did you do on the boat specifically?
I was always very impressed with the way the crew kept our hooks baited with the rental rods.
How good were your skills at that activity?

Chug
Caught a bunch-a-Bonita long ago.

Let's just say that after handling many bonita blitzes with 30+ Canadian tourists hooked up at once there isn't a knot in the world I can't handle.

BTW, nice try.:wink:

:lol:

Chug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom