What gives with Dive Rite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they are going to introduce the 500 light now, then they should offer a discount to their dealers to sell the 300 light at a reduced price, or an increased price for the 500 light.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts. I do not blame ANY shop or Dive Rite dealer for their inability to sell the 300 light at a lesser cost. I blame Dive Rite. I'm all about increased technology, and new and improved dive gear. I don't even mind paying more for said gear.

Why would I pay the same for a lesser of a light? My opinion is that Dive Rite should have gone to their dealers and said "fellas, we are going to be introducing a 500 Lumen light. Send us all your 300 lights and we will update them and return them to you as 500 lights....or fellas, we are introducing a 500 light at the same cost as the 300 light, to help you move your 300 lights here's a $50 voucher to your customer to purchase the 300 light."

I don't think that Dive Rite should wait until all the 300 lights are sold to introduce a 500 light, but they should back their dealers to help them move the older lights. Just my opinion.....

I agree Up4air, Thats why I just use a road flair, My new road flare strobe for my camera is still in testing, But bugs should be worked out soon. Biggest problem is sparks melting the plastic housing and flooding camera. Aluminum housing gets to hot camera wont respond.

The hardest part about the testing is the bladderon my BCD keeps burning, I have to put a new wing on it every time at a cost of $220 a pop.

Any suggestions would help as I have $6,666.66 into testing and I'm not forseeing a patented till 2020.

I agree Up4air, Thats why I just use a road flair, My new road flare strobe for my camera is still in testing, But bugs should be worked out soon. Biggest problem is sparks melting the plastic housing and flooding camera. Aluminum housing gets to hot camera wont respond.

The hardest part about the testing is the bladderon my BCD keeps burning, I have to put a new wing on it every time at a cost of $220 a pop.

Any suggestions would help as I have $6,666.66 into testing and I'm not forseeing a patented till 2020.

Just how much N2O have you been adding to your mix?:lotsalove:

So your basic complaint is that DR improved their 300 light to a 500 and did not up the price for the new model?

How is the old stock that stores have on the shelf DR problem?

(I think this was a rant, not a rave.)

I'm guessing the issue is that the OP wants to get a good deal on a 300 out of this change, and is bothered that's not happening for them?

So your basic complaint is that DR improved their 300 light to a 500 and did not up the price for the new model?
That is the "other" way to look at this. DR now gives more bang for the same buck becuase they improved the light but did not up the price.

That said, if the 300 has been discontinued, the DR dealers need to get with the program and sell them off at a discount.

To be fair that kinda sucks for the dealer in a low volume market as the customers buying the discounted 300 will be the same customers not paying full price for the 500. Companies that put dealers in thet position of having lots of suddenly obsolete stock are not companies that inspire dealers to stock a lot of stuff in the first place and having to order makes them less competetive with internet dealers. It is sort of a downward spiral and DR might want to improve it communication, distribution and product upgrade practices to avoid it.

How is the old stock that stores have on the shelf DR problem?

Ok, let me try this scenario. You and I are on a dive, and we whip out our DR lights. I say "Hey, I see that you got one of these lights also." You say " Yea, just bought it the other day. This 300 Lumens sure lights up the bottom!" I say "What are you talking about? These things are 500 Lumens, and the best thing is that DR didn't even raise the price!"
You ask " How much you pay for your light? I say " $360 same as you"

I think your next statement goes something like " Why the $$#@ didn,t they tell me there was a 500 light out now?

Oh, It's because the DR dealers need to move the old lights before they can sell the new lights for the same money. Sorry about your bad luck, but I bet you can get a 500 light for $360 at (you fill in the blank) scuba shop. Besides, your 300 light is almost as good as my 500....

Gentlemen and ladies, I have said my piece on this. I appreciate all your viewpoints and all points are well taken. I realize it is not a perfect world in the land of retail. The bottom line is, if it upsets me so much, then just don't buy Dive Rite gear. It's a free country to purchase whatever gear we like. Dive Rite makes some of the best gear available, but this event (however petty it may seem) has soured me on them. As I replace my gear I will buy other brands.

Thanks for all the input

hehehe thank goodness you didnt buy a iPhone when it first came out. That $200 price drop a few weeks later would have made you see red....:smilies23

Gentlemen and ladies, I have said my piece on this. I appreciate all your viewpoints and all points are well taken. I realize it is not a perfect world in the land of retail. The bottom line is, if it upsets me so much, then just don't buy Dive Rite gear. It's a free country to purchase whatever gear we like. Dive Rite makes some of the best gear available, but this event (however petty it may seem) has soured me on them. As I replace my gear I will buy other brands.

Thanks for all the input

What doesn't seem to be catching is that it is the DIVE SHOP'S issue to reduce the prices, not DR's. These are not sold on consignment by the shop for DR. Once the shop owns them, they are paid for - Dive Rite is OUT of the equation.

Once the shop bought the lights, it is their issue to move them, not Dive Rite's. If the shop feels that they can move them at the same cost, that's their business.

But as you say - it's a free world out there, buy what you want from whom you want.

PS - I agree that it sucks to get equipment to find out it is not current immediately, as in this case.

Once the shop bought the lights, it is their issue to move them, not Dive Rite's. If the shop feels that they can move them at the same cost, that's their business.

Technically true, but usually manufacturers work with dealers to give them time to clear out old stock before an update is released.

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to do even more, usually by offering end users a rebate. They certainly don't have to do this, but it helps keep the channel satisfied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom