What glue to glue latex seals to PVC/rubber gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glitch

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As my two pairs of Nordic Blue dry gloves start to look and feel more like wet gloves :wink: I was looking into making my own gloves. Not exactly too difficult to glue a latex seal on a heavy duty work glove of your choice is it? or so I thought anyway. Bought some rather tough gloves in some sort of PVC/rubber material (chemical resistant etc. stuff) and some latex seals and was given a glue called Suitseal from my LDS. Slapped eveything on and waited for it to dry only to find out that the glue just vulcanized but it hadn't really bonded the two surfaces together rather it just created a rubbery film that was quite easy to tear off from both seals and gloves. Went to another LDS to discuss this and choice of glue and learned that the main problem when making dry gloves is finding a glue that actually manages to bond these two materials together and make a durable bond.
I tried a local forum here in Sweden as well but nobody seemed to have the knowledge/experience I was after so I figured maye there is someone on scubaboard that has given this a go?

Any input and tips on what glue to use is appreciated. The LDS I have found here only sell the vulcanizing stuff I already tried and also some two component glue called 'Aqua Bond' but I was told that this hardly would be able to give a proper bond between the seals and the glove. Good for shell type dry suits but not directly on PVC/rubber.

Anyway thanks in advance, hope there are some real glue experts here =)

/C

Prepping is absolutely essential when bonding such things. more so probably than the choice of glue. The entire mating surface of the glove and seal should be buffed with sandpaper until all the shine is gone, and cleaned with solvent, before gluing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom