what GPS do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have Magellan Sport Track Pro. I paid $287 for mine last winter. It has a decent amount of memory to accomodate topographical maps. The memory is adequate to cover topo maps for nearly the entire state of SD.

The map software will run another $100 but the USB intrerface is smooth and you can up or download waypoints.

It is accurate to 3 meters if you have a WAAS satellite in view and the moving map display is smooth and useable. All of the various desiplay are also editable so you can customize them to show you what you want to see. Similarly units are easily adjustable.

Magellen also makes a lot of cool accessories for it.

i also use a magellan, but it's the map330 which has 8M on board. it's water resistant, and floats. i've tested both. i use it sometimes while mounted on my motorcycle for when i want to get lost, or when i'm going some where i've never been before. it's saved my ass numerous times. especially my first time ever driving around san fran. have you ever tried to drive around there? holly crap that place is confusing :confused:

...it's a couple years old, so it has a black/white screen versus the color ones that are out now.

depending on what you're using it for...there are models which have memory sticks. which would make it easier and quicker to load certain areas that you like, that might be serveral 100 miles apart.

it all depends on how much you wanna spend. i got my for $250 a couple years ago...and it came with map send streets software at no extra cost.

GPS Map 162 & a Garmin Etrex Pioneer handheld.

I have had other brands...I will stick with Garmin.

Hello,

For a hand held unit you would be hard pressed to top the garmin map 76S model.

Ed

$180 refurbished.

Nice unit. The new software adds direct route street mapping. Very cool.

The memory is expandable via SD cards.

I've had it for about 6 months now and it comes in very handy for kayaking and driving.

Peter

First off figure out how you are going to use the unit.
If it is on a boat, do you want the added feature of a chart plotter?

Having had both brands. Both hand held and mounted ones in the boat, I would say go for one from the Garmin company. Better software coverage, operating features and warranty service.

Vettster

I also have an Etrex Legend. I got mine for around $200 USD on the net. It might not have as many bells and whistles as some, but you'd be hard pressed to find another one with as much bang for the buck. :D

It has a decent amount of downloadable memory and lots of CDs are availble to fit most needs.

For those of you with GPS receivers, check out:

www.geocaching.com

A great way to get out and commune with nature, if you aren't diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom