What happened to Shark Week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have watched Shark Week fairly regularly over the years but it has gotten repetitive. It seems they either replay shows or recycle the same idea or footage in a newer show. Little in the way of new programming.

Has anyone considered preparing a cumulative letter to be sent to discovery channel about shark week and the type of programming they seem to love putting on, and its negative effects on the worlds already stressed shark populations? It may lead to nothing, or it may lead to them asking what we would suggest for next year, and I am sure the members of this forum would have no problem submitting concepts for educational, yet exciting, programming.

I watched most every show, and I can only say the one truly decent show put on was Sharkman, it honestly made me want to go out with a research vessel for the chance of putting a shark into tonic to feel that "connection" , perhaps not a great white though :p

It wouldn't matter if we all wrote letters. We a re tiny fraction of thier viewship. The vast majority of people want sensationalism, hype, and gore. Thats why Springer STILL has a show even though everybody knows its all fake.

So, why did the attacks occur? What clues did they find.

I saw that episode. All I remember were the graphic depictions of shreaded flesh of the young victims. It was so grotesque, I almost cheered the Mexican fishermen on when they went out and decimated the local shark population.

All Discovery has succeeded in doing is propogating the image we so oppose and fueling the fires.

For the particular show that you mention, the show stated that many beleive the drug cartels are disposing of bodies in the sea, thus training the sharks to see people as food.

Just to be clear, I do see a trend toward the educational in the programming. Much less bloody beaches, more interactive and informative shows about the animals themselves. It's still pretty amazing to see divers in the water with these creatures. My issue is the promotion (breaching sharks) and the lack of a true environmental message. Sure some of the programs will mention the devastation occurring, but it is never the focal point.

I proposed we get The Discovery Channel to initiate a new series, "Human Week," to show the devastation to sharks and the marine environment in general.

I know we may feel helpless in our ability to change the programming philosophy, but which is worse, feeling helpless and doing nothing, or feeling helpless and at least trying to make a difference? Perhaps a Scubaboard collective letter would get someone thinking. If we can also include some of the many Shark protection groups, that would even be better.

I know many of us wrote letters directly to the Discovery Channel last year. Maybe a petition/statement of support would be better received. What do you think?

I proposed we get The Discovery Channel to initiate a new series, "Human Week," to show the devastation to sharks and the marine environment in general.

That would be a great idea.

They're gonna need a lot more than a week...

Back
Top Bottom