What happened to Shark Week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I truly wish they would show the documentaries on the decimation of shark populations. Many many years ago that was included in Shark Week. Now it seems to be a slight after thought. Rob Stewart has approached Discovery to show his movie at no cost to them and they took a pass. Once again, I will be sending a written letter about my distaste about the programming. There were some interesting shows, actually the shark bite from the inside I enjoyed. I did get a few laughs as the photographer was so surprised that the Tiger took his camera to the deep. Good on the Tiger!

We all need to continue to campaign and fight for sharks. Joining organizations that have lobby power also helps towards their conservation.

Carolyn:shark2:

I'm so disgusted with Discovery Channel last couple years.

I know we all want to see the public educated about shark finning, but part of the Discovery Channel's goal is to provide balanced views without taking sides. Maybe their neutrality on shark issues has left them with programming about sharks leaping into the air...over and over again.

I know we all want to see the public educated about shark finning, but part of the Discovery Channel's goal is to provide balanced views without taking sides. Maybe their neutrality on shark issues has left them with programming about sharks leaping into the air...over and over again.

It can't be balanced if they never show the other side. They have been showing shark attack video for years. To be fair and balanced, they should be showing conservation video until that balance is met.

What ever happened to the documentary type television shows that used to air on the Discovery Channel? Where there was not a single human being in the entire program at all, just a voice over? They need to go back to simply observing sharks (or any animal for that matter) in their habitat and watch nature take its course. It seems that everyone is so caught up in how sharks attack, or the anatomy of a shark bite, but I think more can be learned if we go back to our roots and just sit back and watch. Not to mention that I find that far more entertaining and informative.

I'm in agreement with the above postings. It's disappointing to see the direction they are taking the show. I'm especially amused at the un-warranted drama injected into the show. In the episode about Tiger sharks they elaborate a so-called "first" when the freediver hand feeds a Tiger shark. For any of you who have dove in Fiji, you have probably witnessed, first-hand, the DM's hand feeding the 15 ft tiger shark. And as much as I can tell they've been doing this for years. Not only are the DM's hand feeding the tiger, but no less than 10 basic open water tourists were within 10 feet of the shark, cage-less and armed with little more than a point-and-shoot and signal tube. In fact, I managed to rub my hand across the tiger as it made a closer than usual pass. Regardless, I find the drama un-necessary and would prefer a show geared toward education than sensationalism.

After the 5th great white jumps out of the water, and you see your 3rd seal eaten, and the cage bumped a few times......

It does not hold the same attraction for me as it did a few years ago - still, I guess I'm glad they broadcast it, even w/ the "sensational" aspects we have come to expect.

I guess I'm glad they broadcast it, even w/ the "sensational" aspects we have come to expect.

My expectations get lower and lower each year, but I still cannot help but tune in hoping that "Maybe this year will rock". Then I find myself changing the channel with let downs such as "Shark Attack Survival Guide". I mean, it was scripted for christ sake. 20 bucks there will be a shark week reality show within the next 2 to 3 years, any takers?

Not here. LOL

Back
Top Bottom