What hose lenth for bungeed octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For *my* bungied backup, I utilize shock cord, with each end slipknotted to the other.. it makes a loop that you can tighten around the mouth... it is tight enough to make difficult to just pull off.. but can be adjusted easily, and totally ditched if it becomes snagged.

Take care,

Rainer:
could you point me to something explaining the rationale for using shock cord and not true bungee (which is what I've been using)? Thanks.
Bungee will crack and rot over time and with exposure. Once that happens, it is more prone to breakage if you pull on it too hard.

but it sure looks to me like that's surgical tubing in the picture, which is what I've often heard will rot/crack over time.

Personally, I prefer the double slipknot mentioned above to passing knotted ends under the ziptie holding the mouthpiece to the second stage. I'd rather the mouthpiece stay attached to the regulator if it manages to be pulled off/out of the necklace. I've settled on the double slipknot as the best way to assure that.

So, while the best method of attachment could potentially be up for debate, I'm pretty sure that everyone in this post is actually suggesting the same material for the necklace, but with different names.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adam

Here's a page with a picture of the double (fisherman's) knotted necklace. I'm sure there are others around, that was just the first one I turned up.

neophyte:
but it sure looks to me like that's surgical tubing in the picture, which is what I've often heard will rot/crack over time.

Personally, I prefer the double slipknot mentioned above to passing knotted ends under the ziptie holding the mouthpiece to the second stage. I'd rather the mouthpiece stay attached to the regulator if it manages to be pulled off/out of the necklace. I've settled on the double slipknot as the best way to assure that.

So, while the best method of attachment could potentially be up for debate, I'm pretty sure that everyone in this post is actually suggesting the same material for the necklace, but with different names.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adam

Here's a page with a picture of the double (fisherman's) knotted necklace. I'm sure there are others around, that was just the first one I turned up.

Ok, I guess I didn't know what shock cord was (thought it was what was in the picture, but yeah, that's surgical tubing). I'm using shock cord, so all good.

ScottB:
For *my* bungied backup, I utilize shock cord, with each end slipknotted to the other.. it makes a loop that you can tighten around the mouth... it is tight enough to make difficult to just pull off.. but can be adjusted easily, and totally ditched if it becomes snagged.

Take care,

When that octo does get snagged by something, it will pull loose from that slip knot, and you will have a hard time finding it......goodluck.

neophyte:
I haven't had any rotting or cracking problems with mine ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I believe that DIR-Atlanta is confusing two things.
Bungee = shock cord. Enough said.
What he is speaking of when it comes to breaking is actually surgical tubing. Surgical tubing != bungee.

So far I can see perfectly acceptable ways to attach your backup reg (in no particular order):
1. Bungee that uses the slipknot method
2. Bungee that is held in place under the zip-tie on the mouthpiece
3. Surgical tubing held in place under the zip-tie

Now, let's think about this logically. To me, they all make sense--just use whichever. I know that many people recommend using bungee under the zip-tie because it "won't come out when snagged" and it "won't break", but in all seriousness, how long is it going to take before you have to worry about breakage for the surgical tubing? A year, perhaps? If it's that long, then just replace the darn thing! Surgical tubing is cheap, as are zip-ties. If you go that long without inspecting your gear to check for things like cracking hoses or leaks, then there are other issues at hand...

As to using the bungee slip-knotted--this is what I personally use. The only drawback (especially for me) is that sometimes I'm just plain stupid and forget to grab it while walking out the door. I use mine both at school helping out with classes and also out in open water, thus it gets moved back and forth. The simple solution to this is to make multiple octo-necklaces, which I just recently did. We have backups of backups of everything else, might as well have a few spare octo-necklaces on hand too.
As to the issue of having the slipknotted version come off the reg--if you have it nice and tight on the mouthpiece you'd have to work pretty hard to make it come off. Even if you DO manage to get it off, big deal. Hopefully everyone learned regulator retrievals in their basic OW class and we should all be relaxed/calm enough in the water to find it. If it isn't hanging under you then it's probably behind you, which means you might have to grab the first stage, ok the hose, and find the reg. If you can't find it then your buddy should be there to help. Personally I've never had any issues with mind coming out of a nice tight slipknot but I can't speak for everyone.

As to having the shock cord under the zip-tie, that sounds like a nice way to do it as well. Keeps your octo-necklace where it should be and it probably won't break.

Just pick one and make sure you know why you picked it. To be honest, any of them will probably work just fine. :)

I'm using a 24" hose for my octo. It's just long enough not to pull on it if I have to turn my head and look around. Quite comfortable.

Attaching the necklace is pretty simple. just get a piece of bungee or surgical tubing. Which ever you prefer. It needs to be about 16 - 18" long, depending on the size of your neck.

Just put a zip tie around the mouth piece to hold the two knotted ends of the necklace in place.

Initially I used the slipknot method. However, one of my instructors (a somewhat rigid guy) was fairly emphatic about not doing so. While I had my rig on, with the slipknot tight, he pulled the first stage out and asked whether I thought it possible that this could happen at an inopportune time. While the risk is remote, I had to agree that it exists. He then asked what I gained by the slipknot. Since I had no cause to remove the bungy unless tearing down the reg, I could see no real advantage. He also advised that the zip used to attach the mouthpiece not be used for attaching the bungy, so that the bungy could not pull the mouthpiece off. I use two separate ties. Other than the $.05 cost of the extra zip, I see no disadvantages to this method and slight advantages.

With SP regs 22" works fine for both singles and doubles. On doubles, I run the backup from the bottom of the turret.

reubencahn:
Initially I used the slipknot method. However, one of my instructors (a somewhat rigid guy) was fairly emphatic about not doing so. While I had my rig on, with the slipknot tight, he pulled the first stage out and asked whether I thought it possible that this could happen at an inopportune time.

...how did he pull a first stage "out" from a reg?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom