What I just learned about Laotian food.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday.

When the nice lady at the Laotian food booth points to the big glass jar full of Red Stuff and asks if you want some on your lunch, say "No thank you". 8-(

I had a chicken and vegetable dish (don't remember the name), but it looked great, all sorts of chicken and muchrooms and red and yellow peppers, coconut milk and rice, topped with peanuts and sprouts, and the fateful Red Stuff.

It tasted pretty spicy going down, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I should have suspected something was wrong, when this nice Asian girl who apparently knew exactly what the Red Stuff was kept looking at me and saying how impressed she was that I was eating it.

I spent the rest of yesterday, and part of this morning certain that it was burning a hole through my insides. Nothing I've ever eaten has caused that much burning for such a long time. It burned on the way in, burned a lot on the way through, and burned on the way out.

Next time, I'll get the Pad Thai, which is yummy and never burns. :cool:

Anyway, no more big jar of Bright Red Stuff for me.

Terry

what was it, sirracha (sp?) ? my chef ex-hubby could eat that stuff by the spoonful. he called it 'ring of fire', so i think he had the same experiences as you but enjoyed them.

Louie:
I'm dying to know. What is the layperson's name for it?

I've got a foodie friend who (in the cuisine sense) has been there, done that and taken the antacids. I'd love to get a jar for her. So if you know where this stuff can be purchased, please let us know.

http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

Snowbear:
Does "used to it" mean the callouses that are left after the blisters heal don't hurt as much as the original blisters did before you got "used to it"? :11:

Hah, ibuprofen upset my stomach a lot more than those yummy sriracha sauce. Hint, it goes really well with those KFC chicken, much better than KFC and the usual KFC wimpy hot sauce :)

louie, look in an asian grocery. my ex shopped there so much the ladies thought he had a philapina wife! imagine their surprise when the whitest girl in the world would also go in with him!

Since when was “Sri Racha” considered part of Laotian cuisine?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom