What I won at Bonne Terre Mine's Treasure Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prize: 8 Day/7 Night all inclusive stay at the Utopia Village in Utila, Honduras with 2 tank boat diving and unlimited shore diving plus a night dive.

My wife and I have had the pleasure of visiting the Bonne Terre Mine on a couple of occasions previous to the June 6, 2009 Treasure Hunt. This was by far one of the most fun and enjoyable for both of us, there was so much going on that our day from 7:00 AM till 8:00 PM flew past. With a total attendance of nearly 200 people including divers, staff, and vendors it had to be a great feat to coordinate all the dives, activities, food, tours, and of course the auction.

The treasure hunt event couldn’t have been planned better; the entire event seemed to flow as one long day of fun. Our day started at 7:00 AM with a check in and a bit of the usual paperwork. Shortly after our arrival the rules and dive briefing were announced, then back to the car to put the knives away as this was claimed to be an unfair advantage. Everyone from our group split up to suit up for dive one and meet back by the mule entrance with gear in hand for the journey into deep earth.

Down and down we went, 68 steps, and I counted, to a graded trail that leads back a 1/8th mile trough dark carved rock with the sounds of dripping water surrounding you. Past a underground garden which survives on the cool, damp and humid 62 degree air. At the dock the wife and I are gearing up with a last minute huddle to go over strategies, then into the toasty 58 degree water.

It was then a short surface swim to the area just above the arena of fun where we descended. Our eyes lit up when we saw the various poker chips sprawled across the rocky mine floor and into action we went. I had a slight problem at first trying to fit fistfuls of chips into my goodie bag and lost about a minute of precious search and recovery time, moments later the signal to surface came.

We ascended and surface swam to arena #2 where the wife and I modified our efforts slightly and when the signal came we shot to the bottom again to claim more chips. This time you could tell the heat was on, people reaching for the same chip at the same time. I’m sure that the referees found it comical to watch as a group of 12+ divers clamored over the remaining chips.

Back on land, but still in the mine, it was time to tally the winnings. Of course the wife outdid me, and by a substantial margin of about $3,000.00. I asked if she had been turning of people’s tanks or what the proprietary secret was.

Topside the wife and I enjoyed a game of tossing washers, reading scuba magazines, and visiting the vendors who had donated prized to the events. These people were a wealth of knowledge regarding the products they represented. We left each booth daydreaming what life would be like winning various trips, an underwater camera, or a new undergarment for my drysuit.

Before we knew it, our surface interval was up and it was time to enter into the mine again to find more of the elusive black chips which had the highest value. Same as the last time, we spent two rounds of 10 minutes underwater collecting every chip in sight. And again, after we were done the wife was a magnet to the high value chips and beat me out again by a couple of thousand points. At the tally table we learned she had scavenged up nearly $9,000.00 worth of chips which put her in the running for a future dive trip.

Topside again, we compared notes with the other divers, feeling out the competition. The food was set out and the lines followed, we sat down and continued talking to others making friends along the way. We both agreed that regardless of the prizes, the price of admission was well worth the amount of fun we had.

After dinner the comedy show began, also known as the auction. Steve did a great job keeping the crowd in stitches. There were so many great prizes to bid on and I would guess that around 40 percent of the people attending won something of substantial value. The wife ended up winning an 8 day/7 night trip to Utopia Utila which looks like a diving paradise from their website.

Since we had driven 6 hours from Chicago, we decided to take advantage of the diving the following day and filled in the blanks on a couple of the lower trails we missed on our previous visits. There is no shortage of amazing things to see on each dive. We both had heard about the train and finally got to see it, a miniature steam locomotive laying on its side looked almost surreal and out of place. These were just another great sets of dives at Bonne Terre to add to the logbook.

My wife and I would like to thank Doug and his wife for hosting this great event and also the staff who made everything down to the smallest details a blast. We would also like to thank the vendors who we had the pleasure of speaking with who had all donated prizes. We wish more of the vendors who donated prizes had attended as we both enjoy travel and attaining new gear along the way. We will definitely be there again next year.

We would also like to specifically thank the owners of the Utopia Village for donating such a wonderful prize. We were so thrilled to have won it and are very much looking forward to booking our stay as soon as possible. If anyone is interested in visiting their website at Utopia Dive Village :: Scuba Skin Diving Utila, Bay Islands :: Honduras I’m sure you would see why we are so excited.

Thank you again to all who helped make this event possible.

Dan & Melissa Tapia

To Sum it all up;
Cost of gas there and back: $110.00
Cost of admission: $99.00
Value of Prize Won: $1,500.00
Seeing NetDoc in his new flooded drysuit: Priceless

P.S. Let us know if an Easter Egg hunt is in the works.

I would like to give the reasons I came to the Bonne Terre Mine Treasure hunt. First, I had never been diving in the mine. Second, I really wanted to win a dive trip. (or DUI /Whites wet suit undergarments, dive light, ScubaMax jacket, alright, just anything would have been great)
I have to say I am not a morning gal. Getting up at 4:30 am is not my idea of fun. But hey, it’s diving, right. The Staff at the mine made our arrival, check in and schedule so easy, even a brain dead, half asleep diver could figure it out. I will admit I was not looking forward to hauling all of my gear down into the mine (and back out), but it was way easier than expected.
After doing the dives and collecting our poker chips, we got a really tasty meal from the Warehouse Bar-b-q.( always good food if you get to Farmington)
Then came the auction. Steve D. was a really entertaining auctioneer. Fleep beat me out for the Golden Reef Bonaire dive trip.( I will get you for that Packman) J After, lots of bidding, laughing and hoping, I finally won the Scuba Max dive Jacket. I really, really get cold on those spring and fall surface intervals. I hope to use it on the liveaboard trip I plan to win next year.
We also took advantage of the discounted 3 dive package offered to the participants. I look forward to diving the mine again very soon.
Thanks for the Prize and the fun time.

Robbin Clubb

The first item auctioned was a trip for 2, airfare, 7 nights and 8 days at the beautiful Sunset House. It was the most expensive and some thought the best item at the auction. But I would say to the winner of this trip, It doesn't matter where you dive, a night dive without a IKELITE LED Dive Light is just a dive in the dark. And to the many people that won heaters from Hot Suits Us, that will be used in a cold and probably DARK quarry you still need a IKELITE LED Dive Light. I have already used my IKELITE LED Dive Light under the hood of my car, and to shine it on the neighbors dog that wouldn't stop barking in the middle of the night. I didn't win a exotic trip, or a Mares Abyss MR42 reg with Octo, or a Zeagle ZX50D reg, or a Imperial J301N BCD from IST Diving System, or a whole list of other things. But I can't wait to get my new IKELITE LED Dive Light wet. And since I didn't win these other items, I'm off to my local quarry where you can do a night dive in the middle of the day if you go deep enough. I'll put on my old and reliable gear. I wont be as warm as some but you will be able to find me just follow the IKELITE LED Dive Light.

Last edited:
I had the good fortune to win the IST Proline BCD at the Bonne Terre Mine Treasure Hunt. What a wonderful event to do something a little different with diving, mingle with a bunch of people that have something in common and learn about diving, dive products and dive locations. Being very new to diving, this type of event was very valuable to me and my son as we built our love and knowledge of diving. Regarding the item I won, I was not even aware that IST made BCDs. Since I learned to dive in the refreshing waters at the mine, one of my first purchases was a dive skin from IST Sports, but I have been renting BCDs, regulators and weights and had not been exposed to their products. I now realize ISThas a full line of dive products. I was thrilled that IST made such a nice donation. Having had some problems with rented gear, this quality BCD with a integrated weight system was target number one when I realized I actually may have enough chips for a shot at it. I really want to thank IST Sports for supporting this unique event. For all you out there that didn't attend who thought you had no chance of winning something, it is more luck than skill. Being a diver with three months experience, I am a prime example of that. And even if I had won nothing, the event would have been well worth it and a lot of fun. I am looking forward to next year. Thanks to Steve, Doug, Mike and Jim and all the staff from Bonne Terre Mine and West End Diving that put on this first class event and made it enjoyable for me and my son.

Bruce

Thanks to all the staff at Bonne Terre for the all the hard work that went into this year's treasure hunt. I especially want to thank the many companies and organizations that donated the gifts, especially DUI for the Actionwear Professional Pullover Jacket & Pants, of which I was fortunate enough to have the winning bid. These garments will greatly enhance my dry suit divig experience - and not to mention goes great with my CLx450 dry suit. Having the opportunity to dive the mine, the great fellowship with other divers and the excellent Bar-B-Q afterwards is a reason enough to participate in the event. However, the donations make the entire experience exceptional. Large or small, the donated gifts really show the dedicaton and support for diving that the respective companies have. Through your extreme generosity a fantastic event was had by all.

With much appreciation,

Eric Krichbaum

This was our first trip to Bonne Terre Mine, long overdue. The Treasure Hunt was just enough to push us into giving it a try. I first read about it in the April 2009 Newsletter of Scubaboard.com. I was fortunate enough to win the Chammyz Dive Jacket - only cost me $6,000 in poker chips! I have to admit that the water took my breath away at first but I was soon warm enough to swim to dive area and was one of the first ones on the bottom during what I call the "shark eating frenzy". If anyone has done a shark dive and saw what happens when you remove the lid from the bucket, you know what I mean. Our travel was from Wichita, KS with a stop in Shell Knob, MO Saturday night (or early Sunday morning as it were) where we typically spend our weekends. Some suggestions and comments for others (some of which I would have liked to known about in advance):

1. Bring a lawn chair and cooler as you will spend a lot of time with your gear by your car. The parking lot was packed but there was ample room to spread your gear out by the car and relax. Get to know the people in the cars next to you and in your dive group. I would recommend taking along a picnic lunch. It would save your parking spot so you wouldn't have to leave the mine area. The BBQ was excellent but it doesn't start until 5:30 or so.

2. 58 is not as cold as you think it is. We didn't use our gloves and pared way down on the wetsuit layers - would up with equivalent of 3MM on last dive and did fine. It's only about 20 minutes of being in the water for each dive. The walk down is cool and damp, make sure your footing doesn't slip and I would recommend keeping the eyeglasses on if you need those until time to suit up. You can find a place to keep them down there during your dive. The water is very clear and the chips are just setting on top, beside, in between the many rocks on the bottom. I would not take my own weights, well worth it not having to haul them down and back up (gear is bad enough). My calves were very sore on Sunday and I work out several times per week.

3. The auction was just ending at 8:30PM and the drive back to I-44 is about 85 miles, roads are two lane, winding and we saw several deer - be cautious or stay over somewhere close on Saturday night.

4. Be sure to visit all of the booths, those people were very nice, informative and definitely not hard sell types. There is plenty of free time to visit the vendors.

5. For management, you need to have more items for auction that are lower in value but used by many in the diving industry, such as the lights, lanyards, even hats and tshirts would be good. There are a lot of people that did not get the number of chips that 15-20 people were lucky enough to collect. It's always nice to come away with something that you earned and could win at the auction. Try to get more vendors interested - and hopefully they can send a representative - no fancy booth needed, they could just use one of the tables that were set up for dinner.

6. Thank you management for the mesh bag, luggage handle holders and stickers. All of the people were exceptional from the parking staff, mine leaders up and down, weight and tank people, people counting the chips, dive leaders in the water with us, briefing, mega phone guy, owner and his lovely wife, and even Steve Dozier, our talented auctioneer. Getting to meet Scubaboard's own Net Doc was a special treat, I am so glad he spoke before the auction so I could take his picture! Looking forward to an all out fancy event next year, with his help!

For us typical warm water divers, this was a nice change of pace. We will still be spending two weeks in Bonaire in August, though, can't get much better than that! Maybe next year get Dive Friends Bonaire to offer free air/nitrox for a week and one of the great Bonaire car rental companies to offer a free truck rental. I will encourage that when I am down there in August! Thanks again for a wonderful dive experience, I would recommend it way above any of the Mexican Cenotes that we have dove, and that is saying a lot. I took lots of photos so anybody that wants to see some, email me and I will send them to you, I haven't had a chance to download any on here yet. Thanks again to all the sponsors! Send more prizes . . . . . please!

Safe Diving to all!

Jeanie and Scott Johnstone - scubajeanie and scubascott

I just wanted to thank everyone very much for the time and organization put into the treasure hunt and all of the sponsors for their generous donations, had a great time and look very much forward to trying out my new wet suit heater.

Thanks again
Tristan Kable

Hello fellow divers! I had a fantastic diving experience at the Bonne Terre Mines this weekend that I wanted to take a moment to share. I must admit that although I have lived in St. Louis, MO most of my life, this was the first dive I had done at the mines. I guess I had figured I was too spoiled from living and diving as an instructor in TCI, HI, Malaysia, and the Bahamas to really enjoy much MO had to offer... That perception has definately changed!! I just want to take a moment and recapture the event of Saturday's treasure hunt at the Bonne Terre Mines.

The day for my group started at 7:00 AM for our dive briefing. Dive master Steve had giving us the basics: that we would all be givin a bag and the object of course is to get the most poker chips so that we could win the bid for some of the $30,000 worth of prizes! The black chips were the hardest to spot and were worth $500. The green coins were also hard to spot and were worth $100. Followed by blue coins ($50) and miscellaneous ($25). He ended with "get ready divers, we will be entering the mines in 25 minutes!"
When we entered the mines there was a short walk down to where the water does. The inside of those caves is very cool and gives such a neat, peaceful experience that is just a break from the real world in itself. We we got to the small dock area we geared up and there were excellent dive masters on dock there to assist and keep everything rolling smoothly as there were quite a few dive groups. When we entered the water we followed a lead who was in a kayak and there were 2 divemasters in our group that were in the water keeping us safe while on the hunt. There were a total of two entries into the water and 4 15 min hunt dives. When we got to the site the dive master gave the final briefing then said "Divers are you ready? Descend!!" Then it was free for all! Down you went and hunting as fast as you could for coins. The adrenaline rush was definately eminent as you searched for the coins. It was very exciting to be searching along and then spot that hidden black coin (I found a total of 6 of these)! I remember saying to myself, "here is black gold!" The dives would end with the divemaster flashing the light to signal it was time to surface.
After the dive the divemaster would clip the bags shut and we had to take our bags of "gold" to a dive banker to count them up. This helped prevent any unfair actions. The dive banker gave us our final count after the second hunt and let us know what we had to bid on the fabulous prizes.
After that it was chill time! Divers sat around having some drinks and sharing past dive experiences as we awaited in excitement for the bidding to begin. They served a delicious BBQ for all the participants just prior to the big bid. The bidding was an exciting event led by Steve, who is a real character! This guy was jut made for this! The bidding process was alot of fun. I ended winning a 3 day all dive included stay at the Plaza Resort Bonaire!! I am so excited, as Bonaire is at the very top of my list of places I want to go. There were alot of different travel packages up for the bid along with gear prizes and a ton of free, cool little giveaways they would throw out in between the big bids to help out those that were not winning the big deals. The key point here is that EVERYONE was laughing, and having a good time.
The Bonne Terre Mines are just so neat and unique. It is really cool what Doug (the owner) and his crew have done with the place. They have really turned it in to a unique town I can best describe as an "old western dive town." I am planning on coming back EVERY year for this treasure hunt, and am planning on doing many dive tours through these mines. I can truly say that the Bonne Terre Mines has a top notch crew and a dive atmosphere not to be found anywhere else in the world. Doug and every single one of his crew are friendly and professional. These guys know how to have a good time and keep everyone safe. I look forward to being a much bigger part of the Bonne Terre Mines in the future! Thanks again to Plaza Resort Bonaire for the prize and to all you at Bonne Terre Mines for putting on such a great event!

I've only been to Bonne Terre once before, and I was really looking forward to diving there again (excluding the walk back out, of course!), but in a dry suit this time. :wink: I've never participated in the annual treasure hunt before, but as a divemaster, I've been both a participant and staff member in more than 30 scuba events over the years, although I've only once been on of the head organizers. When I heard how many people where going to be there, I have to admit, I resigned myself well in advance to the usual semi-chaos that results - and instead was incredibly impressed with how well organized and run things where. That's incredibly difficult to pull off in events like this, and I have to applaud the Bonne Terre staff on how impressivly well manned, organized, and dedicated they had to be to pull this off. It was the smoothest event I've ever attended, bar none. My hat's off to the Bonne Terre staff, and I had a great time and will be comming back next year, and for many years after that!

The Prizes where amazing - in fact, the prizes where the best I've ever seen at one of these events, and I loved how the treasure hunt worked. That was an absolute blast! Especialy the satisfaction you get when you go over an area you just saw somebody else check, and find the two black chips that they missed! :wink: Heh, O.K., that was mean, but still!

I had a great time, and I'd urge other divers to come give this a try. It was well worth the long drive from K.C. for me, and would be worth an even longer trip to get there next year.

Just wanted to be polite and say your welcome to OzarkDiveMaster for appreciating those black chips we left him! Just kidding.
I had a great time & look forward to next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom