What if I don't pay my PADI DM fees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your 2psi are worth a lot! I DO plan to finish and get my card. I think I was thinking along the lines of later, if the insurance and fees start to get excessive for the amount of DM work I actually do.

With SSI, you can avoid some of the negative consequences of Inactive Status, by paying a much smaller Inactive Renewal Fee when it is time to renew. That way you don't just lapse, but have officially notified them that you want to stop teaching for awhile.

Does PADI have something like that?

A friend of mine had not renewed his PADI divemaster rating since 1996 and was told he had to do the following to reactivate: MD clearance
Current CPR and first aid
retake and pass the DM tests
demonstrate and be evaluated for the 20 pool skills
the rescue evaluation
Not a big deal but not exactly inconsequential either.

They also suggested he might just want to take the AI course instead

A friend of mine had not renewed his PADI divemaster rating since 1996 and was told he had to do the following to reactivate: MD clearance
the rescue evaluation

so they needed to retake the whole course ?!

Those things are not repeating the whole course. He was not required to hear all the lectures, do the other things in the pool that the DM's are required to do nor the internship.

No, not even close to repeating the whole course......

It is not a bad idea to keep at least one of your PADI membership curent. You do receive some value for the membership. You recieve Sport Diver magazine, the Undersea Journel and the training updates. This is a whole lot less than paying the $200+ for insurance a year which is what you would need if you actually worked as a DM.

Jay

the rescue evaluation

Assuming your keep your CPR current anyway, all of the above can be done in one afternoon. The AI will take 3 days and costs a whole lot more. I would do the above for free, if the he would promise to DM for me for a couple of classes.

How many years was his membership out?

hey everyone,

I am currently taking my PADI DM with my girlfriend, and we are doing it for ourselves and not to actually work in the dive industry ( no comments on that please ... not my question :no )

I am not making a comment, just a question. I am just curious why did you chose a DM certification over a Master Scuba Diver certification if you do not plan to work in the dive industry?

Here's what the Instructor manual in the Divemaster training section states:

Renewal requirements for
PADI Divemasters include submitting
a completed renewal application
along with dues annually.
A PADI Divemaster whose membership
has lapsed may also need to meet
additional requirements designated
by the PADI Training and Quality
Management Department to regain
Active status. The requirements may
vary depending on how long since the
divemaster’s last renewed membership,
changes to the PADI System and
Standards during that interval, and
other factors.
When an individual becomes a
PADI Divemaster, PADI assigns the
person a PADI Member number. When
the PADI Divemaster becomes a PADI
Assistant Instructor or Instructor, the
number remains the same, though the
prefix/suffix changes to reflect the new
level.

I was sitting here studying for my IE and came across the section and remembered your question. It may have already been answered. Ok, back to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom