What if miss a required safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3. Completing a no-stop dive and missing the safety stop on a computer that 'recommends' a safety stop will result in the computer being more punitive on subsequent dives (done inside the off gassing window).
4. In 3. above, it is safe to continue to dive, but the computer will be 'punishing you' for missing the safety stop by reducing subsequent NDL time.

Mine recommends a safety stop and counts it off, but does not peanalise for skipping the stop. Oceanic Veo 200 if interested.

Bob

There has been a small bit of discussion about this in the past. PADI seems to have some weasel words.

The stop is required but not mandatory. What does that mean?
That seems to be a statement to avoid any liability. They teach you to stop but if you don't you should be ok but we are saying its required....maybe lol

Mine recommends a safety stop and counts it off, but does not peanalise for skipping the stop. Oceanic Veo 200 if interested.

Bob

My comment about the computer penalising you if you miss the safety stop is the worst case. I think it is very dependent on the manufacturer. Some just recommend it, if you skip, it will ignore that and just continue to operate normally. Other manufactures might well 'punish' you a little by making the next dive a little more conservative.

The main point is a safety stop is just that, not part of the main deco' obligation/calculation. Just an enhancement to your safety if completed.
In an emergency, you can skip the safety stop with little thought, if being on the surface ASAP is going to help mitigate the emergency. As a general rule, in a diving emergency, being on the surface is more advisable than being underwater. Being out of the water is more advisable than being on the surface.

+1 for Deco for Divers. Besides all the great information Mark Powell has curated, doing some reading that is published "outside" of whichever training agency you feel connected to provides perspective, independent information, and adds to the personal capability to parse words that don't really hold up to scrutiny as you gain experience and perspective, like mandatory safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom