What is a cold water dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been reading a lot of discussions that talk about differences between cold and warm water dives, and I have no idea how to classify most of my dives.
I have been doing dives in about 14-18 degree (Celsius) water with 5mm full wetsuit with a 3mm on top. I also wear 5mm boots and gloves, but no hood. But, while the water feels a bit chilly when I have my mask off, I don't lose my breath, and I have never had a free flow from my reg.

I got my OW in very warm water (28), and my AOW and Rescue in cool water (21), but I haven't noticed a huge change in difficulty. Is this because I was still extremely new (instead of just very new now) then and everything was difficult? Or will I be in a world of shock when winter rolls around?

for me, anything below 19C/66F is a cold water dive :D

ive heard of SB'ers having problems because their regs started icing due to the cold :shocked:

So I should be concerned about freezing during my current diving conditions?
I only got my OW back in Jan. in Thailand and my AOW and Rescue in Okinawa in late March. Since then, I have racked up about 35 dives since April, but I still know very little about this stuff. Especially since all my training was in pretty warm locations.

Diving doesn't get more difficult just because the water gets colder but it gets more complicated because of the additional gear. Our water temp is currently in the 48 deg. F. range and most people are using drysuits and carrying much heavier weight on their backs and the water does take your breath away for a moment if your mask floods for example. It's mainly just a matter of additional gear and the added weight and restricted mobility. In many cases it also comes with limited visability and potentially other issues.

gcbryan:
Diving doesn't get more difficult just because the water gets colder ....

wouldnt hyperthermia be a concern and increase the dificulty of a dive?

in january we had a nasty cold front come thru and it was down to 14C/57F on one dive... enough to give me a headache and i could no longer feel my feet and hands

but on the surface it was a beaut aussie summer day so there was no way i could prepare differently for the conditions

gcbryan:
Diving doesn't get more difficult just because the water gets colder but it gets more complicated because of the additional gear. Our water temp is currently in the 48 deg. F. range and most people are using drysuits and carrying much heavier weight on their backs and the water does take your breath away for a moment if your mask floods for example. It's mainly just a matter of additional gear and the added weight and restricted mobility. In many cases it also comes with limited visability and potentially other issues.

I realize it is a lot more complicted because of the equipment. How does a dry suit compare in terms of weight needed to sink and mobility of 8 mm of neoprene?
Also, what would you define as a cold water dive?

Again, do I need to worry about my reg freezing in this water?

taliesin58:
I have been doing dives in about 14-18 degree (Celsius) water with 5mm full wetsuit with a 3mm on top. I also wear 5mm boots and gloves, but no hood.

I don't think a freezing reg is really an issue. Diving with no hood in those temps can be a serious risk for hypothermia. As you dive more, you will begin to manage air better and have longer botom times which will increase your heat loss. Your body will loose heat in water 25 times faster than it does on land. If you are doing multiple dives in a day in these kinds of conditions and you are not wearing a hood. Well, sorry to sound blunt, but it sounds like you're asking for trouble.

Just my 2 psi.

Duly noted. I didn't think i needed one because I didn't feel too cold, but you have a good point. I'll try to find one ASAP. I have been thinking about getting one, but I have heard they can be dangerous if they are not fitted right, and I have no one to help me out here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom