What is a "good" dive buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G'Diddy, do you know your DB beyond just the dive? Has your buddy been a diver very long? Ending a dive becuase you are bore??? He must have forgotten that he also had a buddy along with the dive who might have been enjoying himself. Did you talk to the DB after you found out why the dive was ended? Your buddy should always tell you if they are low on air or not if you ask, I also sneak peeks at my buddy's gauges just in case.

G'Diddy, do you know your DB beyond just the dive? Has your buddy been a diver very long? Ending a dive becuase you are bore??? He must have forgotten that he also had a buddy along with the dive who might have been enjoying himself. Did you talk to the DB after you found out why the dive was ended? Your buddy should always tell you if they are low on air or not if you ask, I also sneak peeks at my buddy's gauges just in case.
I've known this DB for more than 30 years. He's been certified as long as I have and is a divemaster. I was so angry at him when he told me why he ended the dive I thought it better to cool down first. However, I never did confront him about it, but he knew I was not happy with him. Fortunately for me he waited until the last dive of the trip to pull this stunt. I usually do sneak peeks at his spg because runs thru his air a bit faster than me, but this time he was trailing behind me and couldn't sneak a peak.

DB Mantra: Anyone can call any dive at any time for any reason with no consequences.
If your DB was bored its probably better that they call the dive than risk injury from complacency.

So what, I'm the bad guy now?:confused:

There are no bad guys in this case ... all pir8 is saying is that the guy exercised his right to call the dive. The reason is irrelevent, except as it relates to your right to choose not to dive with him in the future.

Boredom can lead to complacency ... which is something you want to avoid when you're diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What if after you've ended the dive & get to the surface and your DB won't tell you what was wrong or if he was low on air, then when you're back at the hotel he says he ended the dive because he was bored? How do you deal with that?

I've known this DB for more than 30 years. He's been certified as long as I have and is a divemaster. I was so angry at him when he told me why he ended the dive I thought it better to cool down first. However, I never did confront him about it, but he knew I was not happy with him. Fortunately for me he waited until the last dive of the trip to pull this stunt.

DB Mantr: Anyone can call any dive at any time for any reason with no consequences.
If your DB was bored its probably better that they call the dive than risk injury from complacency.

I agree completely about accepting without argument a dive buddy's decision to call a dive, at the time, if that's what "no consequences" means.

Later, if it were me, there would definitely be the consequence of my discussing and judging his reason. That would definitely determine his future chances to be my buddy.

IMO, for anyone who gives a darn about their buddy, it's not a big chore to maintain interest and focus, at least for the sake of the other buddy's enjoyment. Let's not lower the bar too low here! :D

Someone who has trouble with that may not be looking out for his buddy in a time of need anyway.

There are no bad guys in this case ... all pir8 is saying is that the guy exercised his right to call the dive. The reason is irrelevent, except as it relates to your right to choose not to dive with him in the future.

Boredom can lead to complacency ... which is something you want to avoid when you're diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good points. Excessive self-centeredness in a buddy is something to avoid, too.

The guy called the dive because he was "Bored"? Okay. Gotta go, see ya.

No point discussing it further with him. :shakehead:

I'll readily admit I'm a selfish, self-centered diver.... except when I'm a buddy to someone. Then, their needs come first. :)

Dave C

I think a good dive buddy is basically someone who is cooperative and a team player. Having a keen eye for safety is also a plus. A diver who is a "me, me, me" diver doesn't work out well when buddy diving.

Two relatively inexperienced divers can be great dive buddies if they focus on safety first and share the same objectives of the dive (finding little critters, exploring the bow section of the wreck, etc). If each diver thinks of him- or herself as part of a dive team, each will naturally consider themselves an extension of their buddy and behave accordingly.

My cave diving buddy is a woman I met right here on Scubaboard and a wonderful dive buddy. I am a novice basic cave diver and she is a novice full cave diver. Unlike OW diving, where sometimes I find myself as a solo diver diving with another solo diver, cave diving is done entirely as a team. There is no solo diver mentality. My cave diving buddy is as much a part of me (and I of her) as are the tanks on our backs.

A good dive buddy? Both of you need to think "team", not "me".

Many thanks to all of you who responded. You all made valid points and have given me things to think about and remember went I'm able to get wet regardless of who my DB is.

Just one final point from me and I think it's time to drop this. Please remember that I had know problem ending the dive when he called it because his is my DB and I didn't know what his issue was.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll remember that being a DB is a 2 way street...:dork2:

I look for a buddie much as I do my friends. I would not want to dive with someone that is the direct opposite of me. I want someone I can communicate with, both verbally and of course sign (hard to talk underwater). Hot doggers and braggards are people I avoid, but sometimes they can be the most fun back at the bar!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom