What is clean enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Many of us enjoy diving on artificial reefs created by the sinking of large ships, but most don’t realize the expense and cost involved in preparing those ships for sinking. They are cleaned of all oils and toxic materials including copper ablative bottom paint and anything else that could reasonably be considered toxic to marine life. As many of us have seen what is currently down there appears to make the marine life pretty happy judged by the abundance of animals we see on the wrecks and the speed which corals and other organisms attach themselves to the old vessels.

There appear to be some environmental groups pressuring the EPA to enact more rigid standards for cleaning of these ships including demands that the boats be completely stripped of ALL paint. Looking at the happy marine life around these artificial reefs demonstrate that there is a marked improvement in the marine habitat by these ships and no adverse effect from the paint currently being left on them, and the ocean environment is certainly better for the fish – paint or no paint.

If the EPA and the Congress do enact much tougher laws and regulations regarding what is considered a “safe” vessel to sink as a reef it could easily drive the cost so high that we will not see any new artificial reefs sunk. Is it possible to enact environmental laws so strict that they defeat the purpose and goal of improving the environment or should we take no chances with what we put on the ocean floor?

It's a tough balance. In the environmental clean up industry we use the line, "as clean as reasonably possable"...Leads to lots of law suits.

Yes, I agree...it's a tough balance.

Most people are probably OK with the idea of cleaning up after themselves, but yes - how far do you go? One thing is for sure though....these artifical reefs are a good thing for the oceans so it would be tragic if they stopped happening. The oceans need all the help they can get.

Bill51:
If the EPA and the Congress do enact much tougher laws and regulations regarding what is considered a “safe” vessel to sink as a reef it could easily drive the cost so high that we will not see any new artificial reefs sunk.
hey Bill,
you are catching on. That is exactly what they want...
Kind of like shutting down our manufacturing in the U.S. New Manufacturing facilities in the U.S. now have to meet the strictest Enviro rules on Earth. Maybe that is why the Koreans can dump IC's on our market cheap, Taiwan as well........

mrjimboalaska:
That is exactly what they want...
Who is "they"?
Sounds a bit paranoid to me. You can't blame it all on someone else ya know! :eyebrow:

Bill51:
environmental groups
Not paranoid. It is exactly what the enviro groups want. Artificial reefs are great additions to our oceans and should be encouraged, not hindered in the name of "save our earth".
I'm all for conservation, you see I am a hunter and a fisherman, and want my son, daughter and grandchildren to be as well. Hunters and Sport Fishers tend to make more logical decisions in regards to sustainability as opposed to the Enviro groups.
Enviro groups goal is NO HUNTING, NO FISHING, NO MANUFACTURING, NO CARS,
What we need to do is to find a middle ground, because we never be able to please both segments of our society.

Well hell, the dems have control now so Im sure the war will end, gas will coem down and the oceans will be healthy again, so they say.

Nope, Lisas back, it;s here job again, poor girl!

mrjimboalaska:
Not paranoid. It is exactly what the enviro groups want. Artificial reefs are great additions to our oceans and should be encouraged, not hindered in the name of "save our earth".
I'm all for conservation, you see I am a hunter and a fisherman, and want my son, daughter and grandchildren to be as well. Hunters and Sport Fishers tend to make more logical decisions in regards to sustainability as opposed to the Enviro groups.
Enviro groups goal is NO HUNTING, NO FISHING, NO MANUFACTURING, NO CARS,
What we need to do is to find a middle ground, because we never be able to please both segments of our society.
Oh OK..... If you mean people like that "Sea Shepard" outfit I know what you mean. :eyebrow:

Personally I agree with your last sentence a lot. It's polarized people who refuse to compromise that cause a lot of the problems IMO.

Wildcard....you just sound like a sore loser! :D

Back
Top Bottom