What is "Gold Line"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RedSeaDiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
In the accident thread there has been some discussion about "Gold Line" - for those of us that don't play in the caves what is "Gold Line" - or if it is just as it sounds - why Gold?

Also there has been mention of incident investigation reports for cave diving being published somewhere - can someone point me towards where?

In most popular caves there are permanent lines installed. They color code the cookies on them so you know what line you are on and can plan your dive accordingly.

There are permanent lines installed in many frequently visited caves around the world. Usually there is a main line following the main passage through the cave, and sidelines that are disconnected from the main line (so you don't accidentally get on the wrong line).

The main line in some parts of the world, like the caves in Florida, is usually gold-colored, hence the gold line means the main line.

Accident reports from NSS-CDS

There are permanent lines installed in many frequently visited caves around the world. Usually there is a main line following the main passage through the cave, and sidelines that are disconnected from the main line (so you don't accidentally get on the wrong line).

The main line in some parts of the world, like the caves in Florida, is usually gold-colored, hence the gold line means the main line.

Accident reports from NSS-CDS
Ah OK - many thanks! I was wondering whether perhaps tests or experience had shown that Gold coloured line stood out better in silty conditions or something like that but you have explained it to me.

In most popular caves there are permanent lines installed. They color code the cookies on them so you know what line you are on and can plan your dive accordingly.
Not being rude, but are you a cave diver and if so what caves are they color coding cookies to the lines? I have never seen color coded cookies/lines that represent a particular line.

We do it here when we do multiple lines and/or exits a red, blue, whatever colour cookie and arrow for that line. Our actual lines are all white.

We do it here when we do multiple lines and/or exits a red, blue, whatever colour cookie and arrow for that line. Our actual lines are all white.
Color coding anything isn't that great for cave diving as you might lose the ability to see.

Are there any caves in Croatia that are open to the public? Can you give me some names of popular once? I'd like to check some of them out.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom