What is Hogarthian Divng?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber:
Thank you! I really enjoy intelligent, thoughtful answers like these...

So, if I followed this correctly, Hogarthian principles are inherently a part of DIR fundamentals, but perhaps a bit more streamlined and simplified for habitual response in emergency situations... or are there some parts of Hog principles that are fundamentally contrary to DIR?

It sounds like if there is contradiction, it would be in rec vs tech diving...
I'm not DIR so I can't go into detail other than what I've read and talked to DIR divers about.

It's not so much that DIR and HOG are different, rather DIR incompasses HOG. However, DIR has taken HOG one step further in that there is one and only one configuration which everyone in DIR uses for all diving. Some say this is great and some are not so sure about it. One thing is for sure, if two DIR divers are diving together, even for the first time, there is no question about gear configuration.

However, I prefer to customize based on what kind of dive I am going on. I do have certain things that always go on every dive. Those would be:

SMB and/or Lift bag
Primary can light (it's part of my weight system)
2 backup lights (they are clipped to my harness, no need to remove them)
Safety reel for the SMB or Lift bag.
Compass
Computer
I also dive the 7ft hose with bungee octo

That's my standard. Now, where I have everything positioned is where I come into conflict with DIR. Reel is on right D-ring, on DIR there is no right D-ring, they carry the reel on the rear D-ring on their crotch strap. I rarely use a crotch strap. There are other differences too, but this gives you an idea.

Quarrior:
However, I prefer to customize based on what kind of dive I am going on. I do have certain things that always go on every dive. Those would be:

SMB and/or Lift bag
Primary can light (it's part of my weight system)
2 backup lights (they are clipped to my harness, no need to remove them)
Safety reel for the SMB or Lift bag.
Compass
Computer
I also dive the 7ft hose with bungee octo

What no knife?:confused:

One big conflict I see between Hogarthian and DIR is adaptability of the system. Some of the biggest innovations in diving have come from cave diving such as power inflators,different reels etc,and these innovations have come from people who challanged the status quo to make it better. In Hogarthian constantly challanging the system with innovation is encouraged,plus changing gear with Hogarthian principles in mind to adopt to the type of dive environment is good. Sometimes I find DIR too rigid. If I should find that moving something should improve the system,then I am no longer DIR because this hasn't come from the DIR founding fathers. Also I find diving one way doesn't apply to all environments,and I have to change my gear,planning techniques etc based on the environment. I am not anti-DIR,and think there are some very good principles,but I prefer to be eclectic and take the best,and find that I can be very successful without being labeled into a particular subgroup.

ehuber:
Thank you! I really enjoy intelligent, thoughtful answers like these...

So, if I followed this correctly, Hogarthian principles are inherently a part of DIR fundamentals, but perhaps a bit more streamlined and simplified for habitual response in emergency situations... or are there some parts of Hog principles that are fundamentally contrary to DIR?

It sounds like if there is contradiction, it would be in rec vs tech diving...

I am not DIR and my comments are based upon what I have read here, or what I have learned from talking with DIR divers.

One of the DIR points is that of improved habitual response in emergency situations. Their gear is always the same, so knowing whats where on yourself or your buddy should be a no brainer. In the HOG world we can all be different, so we must ensure we are comfortable in our gear setup (insert practice here) and brief our dive buddies (newbie or experienced) on our setup and emergency proceedures.

There are many contradictions between the 2 "labeled" philosophies. When you compare something with many rules to one with only 2 rules, the barn door for contradiction is wide open.

HOG is a starting point for divers to do what they feel is best for them based on only 2 rules. I hope I have this right, but I believe that DIR considered HOG as a reference when they created their program which has very strict rule set for all aspects of diving. There are many rules to DIR.

HOG is very basic and relates to gear. DIR is the opposite, with rules covering tank metal type to specific gas mixes/blends per planned depth.

One of the first responses to the original question summed it up perfectly, Take only what you need, and if you need it take 2. Nothing more, nothing less.

I consider myself to be more of a hybrid HOG diver.

Cheers

Packhorse:
What no knife?:confused:
ooops, forgot the shears. I sometimes have a knife on my leg too.

Quarrior:
ooops, forgot the shears. I sometimes have a knife on my leg too.

Please-Please no knife on the leg!!!!

texdiveguy:
I have a question,,,,for all those within the technical diving community that don't fully prescibe to either of these two systems....were do they fall in terms of a labeled diving format?
"Personal preference"

Roak

texdiveguy:
I likes your way of thinking!
Probably not, I'm a DIR guy. I was just answering the question.

I think that in technical diving, you can't get any worse than "personal preference."

Roak

roakey:
Probably not, I'm a DIR guy. I was just answering the question.

I think that in technical diving, you can't get any worse than "personal preference."

Roak

OPPS you pulled one on us,,,,silly you. I am not a DIR diver and never plan to be,,,,fall into the catagory of 'hybrid',,,a true 'rebel' able to think for myself when it comes to my gear configuration and make decissions right for me and the enviroment I intend to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom