What is Hogarthian Divng?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by roakey
I think that in technical diving, you can't get any worse than "personal preference."

That depends on your preference :wink:

texdiveguy:
OPPS you pulled one on us,,,,silly you. I am not a DIR diver and never plan to be,,,,fall into the catagory of 'hybrid',,,a true 'rebel' able to think for myself when it comes to my gear configuration and make decissions right for me and the enviroment I intend to dive.

i can sum this up in one word

"ditto"

roakey:
, you can't get any worse than "personal preference."

Roak

"Can't get any worse",that would say personal preference is at the lowest level of the hierarchy. That is unfortunate because before their was HOG and DIR,that was the only choice. The thing about this was these people,and these people to this day think outside the box and come up with many of the innovations we have today. Personal preference has been given a bad connotation, that if we didn't have that we'd still be diving with clorox bottles for lift instead of wings. Bill Main would tell you that his style was personal preference,just other people saw advantages to it and adopted many of his styles.

texdiveguy:
able to think for myself when it comes to my gear configuration and make decissions right for me and the enviroment I intend to dive.

Congratulations! You don't need to be handed a rigid set of rules and told to color inside the lines.

:lightingz Fantastic Discussion!!! I now have a much better understanding of the differences and simularities.

So if I am following this discussion accurately, there is no single element of equipment configuration that typifies the "Hog" style? Not BP/W, long hose, octo on necklace, etc.?

What is the Hog stance on solo diving? Can one be a "Hog Solo" Diver?

FishDiver:
So if I am following this discussion accurately, there is no single element of equipment configuration that typifies the "Hog" style? Not BP/W, long hose, octo on necklace, etc.?

What is the Hog stance on solo diving? Can one be a "Hog Solo" Diver?

There is a "standard" Hogarthian set up and that was using SP MK20 or 10/G250 that was adopted in the early 90's,but generally it is more about the philosphy of streamlining and minimalism. This is why it is not so rigid on specific equipment manufacturers.

I know the "founder" solo dives,but does it with a lot of redundancy,but I also know the perfect Hogarthian team is 3 people for redundancy.

karstdvr:
There is a "standard" Hogarthian set up and that was using SP MK20 or 10/G250 that was adopted in the early 90's,but generally it is more about the philosphy of streamlining and minimalism. This is why it is not so rigid on specific equipment manufacturers.

I know the "founder" solo dives,but does it with a lot of redundancy,but I also know the perfect Hogarthian team is 3 people for redundancy.

What about the long hose? That never seemed particularly minimalist to me, despite the DIR afficianados.

FishDiver:
What about the long hose? That never seemed particularly minimalist to me, despite the DIR afficianados.

In a cave it is. Even in OW I don't know that the extra four feet make it less 'minimalist' than a standard reg. A reg's a reg... right? Besides... there's more to it than that. Read the article referenced below and get back to me.

FishDiver:
Are here any references that explain the full philosophy (not just equipment)?

Try this one...
http://www.divingindepth.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=621&tabindex=4&DocumentID=3506

FishDiver:

The long hose actually has a history. A 5 ft hose was found to be too short for restrictions,and the 9 ft hose was too long and an entanglement hazard;so the 7 ft hose was a compromise.

The 7 ft hose was a neccessity to deal with a problem,but every effort was made to make it streamlined.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom