What is Pneumothorax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukdiver

Reaction score
I would like information on the big word Pneumothorax,
the information needed is,
1.What is it how do you describe it
2. How does a diver get it
3. How can you avoid it
4. What is the cure or treatment
I would sure appreciate any help I can get.

1. A pneumothorax is a collapsed lung.
2. To answer this question you need some rudimentary anatomy. The lungs sit within the chest cavity. Surrounding the lungs is a lining called the plueral lining. This lining allows slippage during normal respiration so that the lungs don't stick to the inside of the chest wall. There is a potential space between this lining and the chest wall (it's there but hard to tell due to the closeness of the organs). Anyone can get a pneumothorax by getting blood or air or other fluids stuck between the lung and chest wall in that potential space. This causes positive pressure in a space that is normally negatively pressurized. This positive pressure pushes on the lung causing it to collapse.
3. To avoid it as a diver, one just continuously breathes, always exhaling when the regulator is in or out of the mouth. This allows the expanding air to escape rather than causing the excess to be forced into the potential space and causing a pneumothorax.
4. The treatment for a pneumothorax, depending on what caused it, is to negatively pressurize that space again. The only true way to do that is to stick in a chest tube, which allows the fluid or air to drain out and results in the lung expanding again. However, if the chest tube can not be placed in time, surgery will need to be done to re-establish the lung volume as the lung will begin to stick unto itself. This is not something divers are trained to due, generally speaking, unless they have advanced medical training (ie emergency medicine physician, paramedic, etc).

Any other thoughts from the medical community?

By definition a Pneumothorax is air in the pleural space. A hemothorax in blood in the pleural space. Blood and air in the space is a Hemo-pneumothorax.

The easiest way for a diver to acquire this condition is to hold your breath on ascent. This will cause the alveoli (the tiny air sacs in the lungs) to expand and rupture thus pushing air into the pleural space. The lung only collapses when the air in the space reaches too great of a volume or the pleural lining is punctured or ruptured. A diver catching an errant spear in the chest from a UW hunter can cause this. In all truth the spear can act as a plug to keep the space in a negative pressure environment so it should not be removed.... but I digress.

jms had prevention right on the money.

Treatment was close enough. I guess for a good visual of what one is and how its treated in the field rent the horrible George Cloony movie Three Kings. One of his men gets shot in the chest and it is treated in the field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom