What is Saba like for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello ScubaBoard friends,

I have friends who were certified in Sept., 07. The husband received his AOW on Curacao in April, 08, but his wife is still a newbie. We are looking for places for a Spring dive trip and Saba is on our short list. From the trip reports I've read, it looks as though most of the first dives each day are below 60'. I assume new divers dive a different profile and do the dive, but stay above 60', is that correct?

What is Saba like for newbies? Do you recommed a trip to Saba when everyone in our group is more advanced?

Thanks, alashas honeymoon2's photos- powered by SmugMug

Hi there Alashas! I remember you being very helpful to me on the Curacao forum(we leave in 6 days!). My husband and I went diving in Saba last March. We are not AOW certified and had only 20 dives under our belt. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 60 foot rule was if you were not with a dive master. Otherwise I thought it was at the DM's discretion. In Saba we went as deep as 110 feet. A lot of the dives in Saba are deeper-especially if going to to pinnacles. We had some very rough weather and did not dive the pinnacles. Our dive sites were mostly in the 80 foot range.

I think Saba is probably geared towards the intermediate and advanced divers but not completely ruled out for beginners. We did not encounter the strong currents like we have in Cozumel but the water on the surface was very rough. I think this has to do with the fact that has no beach and therefore the waves are not absorbed and head back out to the ocean. Getting back on the boat was certainly a challenge during the windy rough-surf days.

The island itself is absolutely beautiful and majestic. I was impressed with the number of quality restaurants and the friendly people. I enjoyed the diving although I prefer Cozumel. I have seen a greater variety of marine life in Coz. Perhaps my experience in Saba would have been better if the weather and vis were improved. The advantage of Saba is the corals and sponges are immaculate and healthy. If you get to the pinnacles, you may find more pelegics. Topside Saba blows Cozumel away. Plus, there are no time share sharks! We absolutely would love to return to Saba.

Last edited:
Saba is not necessarily the best choice for newbies, but don't automaticly rule it out.

The sites tend to be deeper, and the surface can be rough since it's a small island and therefore doesn't screen rollers coming in from the Atlantic very well.

I think it comes back to your wife's skill and comfort level. If she has decent air consumption, and bouyancy control and isn't uncomfrotable in deep water, she'll do fine. It might also be an opportunity to advance her training with a Nitrox course.

I've been to Saba twice, dove with Saba Divers and stayed at Scouts Place, and recommend them very highly. You might email them about your wife's skill level and see what they say.

alashas:
I have friends who were certified in Sept., 07. The husband received his AOW on Curacao in April, 08, but his wife is still a newbie.

I'm afraid I don't understand why you consider one of them a newbie, but not the other. They were certified together, does one of them have considerably more experience than the other? AOW is not a factor.

alashas:
What is Saba like for new divers?

I think it's a great place for new divers.

As far as "everyone" being more advanced goes, dismiss that idea! I've dived Saba with students, freshly minted divers, as well as vastly more experienced people than I and the DM's at the op we used (Saba Divers) were great about splitting into tiny groups and diving to suit everyone's abilities and comfort zones. Sometimes this meant one or two divers with one DM, or a boat with only 2-4 divers on it, but they didn't mind at all -- the focus was for everyone to have fun, be happy and be safe. There are lots of sites that aren't pinnacles requiring blue-water swims.

The only thing I found difficult there was the instruction to meet on the mooring line prior to the descent because the mooring line bounced at lot on the ball, which made me a little seasick. After I eliminated this by getting the OK to make free descents and meet the group underwater, diving Saba became a piece of cake.

I'd say keep it on the short list!

Agree with the other posts, plus, rationalizing the factors that might make dives in Saba a bit intimidating to newbies:

1. fear of currents - in all my trips to Saba, seldom encountered any, so generally speaking, this is a non-issue.

I just recall one instance at Tent Reef (shallow dive) where there was some near the surface, but as long as the divers descend and ascend using the mooring line, it's not too bad. Besides, at least with Saba Deep, (my guess is that the other outfits do too) the DM always drops a weighted line into the water and checks the current before settling on a chosen site and will change dive sites if it is too strong.

2. fear of depth - indeed what I consider the choicest dives in Saba (which are the pinnacles) are all deeper than 60 feet. There are 5 deep pinnacles that I know of that can typically done as first dives: Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Third Encounter, Mt. Michel, and Shark Shoals. (Just as an aside, if given a choice, definitely go for Third Encounter and Shark Shoals - my favorites). The shallowest of these is about 90 feet, so hovering at 60 ft. while the other divers are further below would be a waste, in my opinion.

There are other sites - both pinnacle and wall - that are more suitable for this type of multi-level scheme. Diamond Rock and Man'o'War Shoals are both excellent pinnacle dives (they are side by side, next to each other) that would be great for this, with the bottom being at around 75-80 feet. The top of Diamond rock is above the surface, which Man'o'War Shoals is completely submerged with the top at maybe 15-20 ft(?).

One possible suggestion might be to have the so-called "newbies" skip the first dive on the first dive day, go for the second dive and get the acclimated to the depth, and then let them go for the deep pinnacles on the next day (or on a later day) when they feel more comfy going deeper. I myself am only an Open Water diver but the dive operators in Saba have never stopped me from doing the deeper dives.

3. fear of rough seas - most of the diving in Saba is done on the western coast of the island, which, on most days, is the sheltered side. Dives on the east side (the windward side) are only done on good days.

The dive sites on the west side that are close to shore are usually very calm even on windy days because the mountains provide good shelter. Diamond Rock and Man'o'War Shoals are on the northwest, so they can get a bit choppy when it gets real windy because the wind curls around. The deeper pinnacles, because they are a little bit further offshore and receive less protection from the mountains, are vulnerable to strong winds and therefore rougher conditions. As an aside, rough surface conditions don't necessarily translate into lousy u/w conditions - it only makes for a bumpier and wetter ride, and tougher to get back into the boat.

What weather conditions you will encounter if and when you go in the Spring is anyone's guess and is ultimately a matter of luck, but on average, I'd say that I've encountered more instances of calm to moderate than of rough conditions in Saba.

Bottom line is that I think that Saba is very doable by newbies based on the rationale above, but if you want a dive destination that is 99.9% newbie-doable, I'd suggest somewhere like Bonaire instead.

Tremendous post Manuel Sam!

Caribbean Explorer II's Triple Antillean Treat

A Wealth of Underwater Adventure Awaits Divers Aboard the Caribbean Explorer II.

A step from the swim platform erases the last remnants of sleep. But what follows is not the shock of a chilling immersion, but rather a welcome return to the warm, clear waters of the Caribbean, and a state of weightless calm.

The burp of purging BC signals the beginning of our descent. We are near the island of Saba, diving onto a deepwater seamount known as Third Encounter. But just as the outlines of the precipice begins to take shape, our guide Dawn motions us away, signaling ÁÇollow me into what at first seems like complete nothingness. As the edge of the seamount fades to blue, the silhouette of something new comes into view.

To Read More

Last edited:
I would not let the fact that the Pinnacles are deep put you off. As stated above in several of the responses if you are not comfortable with the pinnacles just sit out those dives and do the second and third dive of the day. I always dive with Sea Saba who is very safety concious and has no problem coming back after the first dive to pick up additional divers for the second and third dives. There are many great dives in the 40 to 70 ft range that are very enjoyable and not that challenging. Personally I have never run into strong currents on Saba and have been there over 10 times in the last three years. That being said we usually go in the summer or early fall so that may have something to do with it.

Hope this helps. Saba is a one off and a great place to go for top notch diving and relaxation.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughtful and helpful responses! To clarify, my friend, who learned how dive in Sept., 07, did around 25 dives in Curacao last April, when he received his AOW. His wife has not done any additional dives since Sept., 07.

morecowbells, have a great trip to Curacao! Where are you staying?

all the best, alashas http://honeymoon2.smugmug.com/

Back
Top Bottom