what is semi-dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deal Me In

Registered
Reaction score
ok, before you laugh at me keep in mind that i live in florida. i have never needed to own a dry suit. i know that all of you divers up north are crying for me and i appreciate that. but what is a semi-dry suit. this makes no sense to me. that sounds like being semi-pregnant to me.

the only thing that i can think of is that it isn't an entire dry suit. like it keeps your torso dry but not the rest of you, but that sounds silly. anyway, i keep reading these posts about ice diving and that sounds like the dumbest thing a person can do. not because of the overhead but because of the ice. the mere presence of ice means that people shouldn't be in the water. of course that is a just a florida opinion. what do i know i will be diving wet tomorrow and thinking that i can't wait for the 75 degree water to heat up.

thanks for your time.

Deal Me In:
ok, before you laugh at me keep in mind that i live in florida. i have never needed to own a dry suit. i know that all of you divers up north are crying for me and i appreciate that. but what is a semi-dry suit. this makes no sense to me. that sounds like being semi-pregnant to me.

the only thing that i can think of is that it isn't an entire dry suit. like it keeps your torso dry but not the rest of you, but that sounds silly. anyway, i keep reading these posts about ice diving and that sounds like the dumbest thing a person can do. not because of the overhead but because of the ice. the mere presence of ice means that people shouldn't be in the water. of course that is a just a florida opinion. what do i know i will be diving wet tomorrow and thinking that i can't wait for the 75 degree water to heat up.

thanks for your time.

A semi-dry is basically a good quality wet suit. There is really nothing "dry" about them but they limit the water circulation a lot better than a traditional wetsuit and therefore they are much warmer. There are different styles and what not but the principle remains the same.

R..

Please don't laugh cause I am sometimes do spelling mistakes, I am Egyptian and I am working on my english.
Semi-Dry suit is more than 7mm suit and well sealed from arms and legs also the neck, also there is an Isolation on the zipper. This doesn't mean that it is perfectly dry, water still can get in the suit through the newprin itself but this will eleminate the circulation of the water in the suit which will make your body warm this water.
Hope that you got what I mean and I answered your question

Some people will even flood the suit on the surface with warm water before the dive. Or you have to flood the suit once in the water or you will get one hell of a suit hickey.

Diver0001:
A semi-dry is basically a good quality wet suit. There is really nothing "dry" about them but they limit the water circulation a lot better than a traditional wetsuit and therefore they are much warmer. There are different styles and what not but the principle remains the same.

R..
This is not completly the true. Semi - dry is at least 7mm with typical for a dry suit latex neck and wrist seals and a dry zipper. So of course the water do circulate although in a lower level than in normal wetsuits. This makes them much warmer than even 7mm normal wet suit
Mania

mania:
This is not completly the true. Semi - dry is at least 7mm with typical for a dry suit latex neck and wrist seals and a dry zipper. So of course the water do circulate although in a lower level than in normal wetsuits. This makes them much warmer than even 7mm normal wet suit
Mania

I specifically didn't talk about features but you're right. I was frist trying to get across the point that a semi-dry is a wetsuit not a drysuit.

R..

Deal Me In:
but what is a semi-dry suit. this makes no sense to me. that sounds like being semi-pregnant to me.

You are right...it is a silly name. "Semi wetsuit" might be a bit better (but not much). The reality is that it is indeed a WET suit, but it has been modelled with some of the features of a dry suit (ie neck, wrist and ankle seals, plus an improved zipper), hence the silly name "semi drysuit". It would be nice if someone came up with a more sensible name, but I am afraid the term semi-dry has become common place and is unlikely to change.

Not true. A semi-dry is not a drysuit. The seals on the one I had were neoprene and they LIMIT the water circulation, they don't eliminate it. The biggest difference is on entry you don't have that horrid rush of cold water all through the suit.

They aren't drysuits, if they were they'd have valves so you could add AIR not water.

Rachel

They should really call it a Low Water Circulation Suit. The Bare full suit I have has seals. I actually used old drysuit rubber to sew on extra thicker seals in both arms and legs.
The suit gets 100 % wet on the inside but the water circulation is at a minimum to prevent heat from you body escaping with the water as it leaves the suit.

Back
Top Bottom