What is SSI's "Decompression Diver" course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 9 broken ribs on one side, 6 of which are plated with titanium. no flexibility to do valve drills.
Then you’d use independent doubles (i.e. manifold turned off), sidemount or have a large side-slung pony cylinder so you can loose one cylinder and still have enough gas in the other to get out alive.

This year I saw one guy have a second stage hose rupture underwater on a boat I was on and I had a sudden freeflow of my necklaced regulator which was incredibly violent. This is why you need redundancy.

Then you’d use independent doubles (i.e. manifold turned off), sidemount or have a large side-slung pony cylinder so you can loose one cylinder and still have enough gas in the other to get out alive.

This year I saw one guy have a second stage hose rupture underwater on a boat I was on and I had a sudden freeflow of my necklaced regulator which was incredibly violent. This is why you need redundancy.
Backmount doubles for me are out, sidemount will prob be where I end up. Until such time, I have been slinging a pony since I started diving. I now sling a 30cu. I have seen one instance, where a diver had a hose rupture, very loud.

Backmount doubles for me are out, sidemount will prob be where I end up. Until such time, I have been slinging a pony since I started diving. I now sling a 30cu. I have seen one instance, where a diver had a hose rupture, very loud.
Sidemount is very natural and is just like a couple of slung stages, with some bungee. Best to do a class with an *experienced* sidemount diver; will save a load of faffing and setup time. Sidemount is a terrific configuration for solo and self-sufficient diving.

Sidemount is very natural and is just like a couple of slung stages, with some bungee. Best to do a class with an *experienced* sidemount diver; will save a load of faffing and setup time. Sidemount is a terrific configuration for solo and self-sufficient diving.
When I do finally go sidemount, I will do the training with the instructor who was my Solo instructor. He is a TDI guy. ANDP and wreck diving is where I want to get to.

I'm a big fan of XDeep sidemount systems but you might find the dump hard to reach if you have limited mobility. Getting it adjusted just right is important and the community has some mods (which are contentious) which can help. My shoulders aren't the best and if I was shopping for a new one I'd consider Yushin/SumpUK because they offer more dump positions.

I'm a big fan of XDeep sidemount systems but you might find the dump hard to reach if you have limited mobility. Getting it adjusted just right is important and the community has some mods (which are contentious) which can help. My shoulders aren't the best and if I was shopping for a new one I'd consider Yushin/SumpUK because they offer more dump positions.
When I eventually go that way, @decompression will be the instructor I go with. Whatever Jay recommends, would be probably what I would use.

Quick calculation of gas required for this dive: 30m/100ft using 32% and 10 minutes of deco.
Curious; have you done the planning arithmetic for the dive you've outlined above? If so, what volume of gas did you calculate you'd need?

To bring the thread to the title: "What is SSI's Decompression Diver course"... its working out the volumes of gas you'd need and how to have backup gas.

When I plan dives I do so at around my normal sac rate so my min plan is at rmv 10 ( even though I am often less than that ), then at 50% more then at 100% more. I only do a dive like this with a dive buddy who also knows their own RMV and we plan the dives together. Now planning a dive at normal RMV for me is not what I plan for others. One of my dive buddies is a woman who has a lower RMV than I have. Another is a buddy with same as me and another instructor who has done the TDI ANDP has higher gas consumption than I do. As some of you know I am prone to sling an extra AL 80 on some dives with same gas mix.

One of the dives we do is to take video and photos of pigmy sea horses at 30 - 32m We like not to be rushed. We dot this dive in little or no current. We can plan a deco dive yet not exceed NDL as we may have what we want and no use the extra deco time. Then it's just a nice NDL dive. It can be we only get one dive at this location each trip. One of the dive sites we are on the bottom at 30m so get just fin pivot and take photos and video of marine life. I believe if could have been you that wrote where you did a dive and stayed at one place and had a very low gas consumption rate.

So I need 2000 litres ( not including a 1st stage failure or some other emergency ) Also I usually have tanks that are filled to 210 bar or more. Of course can also get AL120 tanks which is good if you not planning on doing a lot of movement.

PLAN 10.jpg

The person who proposed that “dive plan” often mention their low SAC. They may not have thought through that their buddies SAC is no less important, or that a reserve could be of use.

If I am doing a dive plan with a buddy I am using the higher sac rate of the divers. Sometimes that is me sometimes my buddy.
Some buddies I dive with are better than I am on gas consumption. I do not do many deco dives any more. Mainly as I do a lot of dives with dive centers that do mostly NDL diving. If I am gas planning for a deco dive why would I not consider my buddies RMV?

All my training on deco was to use the highest consumption rate of a buddy when planning a dive. It's built into my brain to consider this. I do not know anyone who would be trained in deco to not know their dive buddies gas rate. If I was to do a deco dive with someone I always take into account their RMV as well as mine. It's unusual to have two people with the same gas consumption although with one of my buddies we often finish a dive with 5 - 10 bar difference but that can be tank fill difference or wasting air blowing rings.

If I am doing a dive plan with a buddy I am using the higher sac rate of the divers. Sometimes that is me sometimes my buddy.
Some buddies I dive with are better than I am on gas consumption. I do not do many deco dives any more. Mainly as I do a lot of dives with dive centers that do mostly NDL diving. If I am gas planning for a deco dive why would I not consider my buddies RMV?

All my training on deco was to use the highest consumption rate of a buddy when planning a dive. It's built into my brain to consider this. I do not know anyone who would be trained in deco to not know their dive buddies gas rate. If I was to do a deco dive with someone I always take into account their RMV as well as mine. It's unusual to have two people with the same gas consumption although with one of my buddies we often finish a dive with 5 - 10 bar difference but that can be tank fill difference or wasting air blowing rings.
Yes this is what we call "gas matching" and sure a good way of planning deco dives, the only one valid for challenging dives

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom