What is tech diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Technical" diving, how did that concept come about anyway? The diving has been around for a long time, but there was never any need to give it a name. About 20 years ago somebody coined the term to encompass a bunch of unrelated activities. At first it meant dives that broke rules established by agencies. Later, folks started including established, although not mainstream, specialties, like cave diving, in with the other unrelated types of diving under the "technical" umbrella. There are many different definitions, depending on your source. There is no agreed upon definition. "Technical" diving is a meaningless term. It means too many things to too many people. When you say "technical" diving I have no idea if you are referring to cave, mixed gas, solo, deep air, something else or a combination. If you are interested in mixed gas; refer to mixed gas; if it's cave; refer to cave, etc. Your message will be much clearer. Expertise in one type of "technical" diving does not carry over into another. "Technical" diving is a useless distinction that, in my opinion, we should all stop using.

I don't agree with the generized statement "stick to the basic recreational SCUBA training". You have all just negated the recent trend to start divers off with "Tech" style, and possibly safer, techniques like long hose configurations or back plate and wings. Consider some of the smaller agencies like SDI/TDI as good starting points for the budding tech diver. It might be better to start with good habits than go through the PADI mil and have to re-learn when you get to deep/mix gas/cave/wreck diving. I know that I will have to endure that transition because I started out in the standardized octopus toting, aluminum 80 carrying So. Cal. bubble blower program myself.

In a real quick answer, Tech diving is learning how to do everything they tell you not to do in your basics class.

It requires a whole other level of gear, knowledge, training, and skills. There are a few agencies that offer technical training.

:rofl3:

When he says gear, think $$$$$'s and a lot of them.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of paying for a whole bunch of classes up front. Shops don't mind doing this because you become 'captive'.

What happens if you do your OW class and don't like the instructors? Or it turns out, you are just one of those people who can't clear their ears?

Unless money is not a concern, I'd do them one at a time. I didn't get my advanced rating until 120 dives. Frankly the only reason I got my advanced rating was to become a DM. I grew my diving based upon my experience.

Also, you'll find that there is A LOT to see within recreational diving limits. Off the NC coast are a lot of great wrecks that lie is 115fsw or less. They are loaded with both small pretty fish and big sharks.

When I first started, I wanted to get a tech oriented. It is a lot of money and year by year I've been growing my gear and my experience. I've done a lot of classes this year...AOW, Rescue and I'm in DM. Next year, I'll try for Advanced Nitrox or Trimix. We'll see.

Good luck!

"Technical" diving is a useless distinction that, in my opinion, we should all stop using.

I don't know Walter... I think it has some use as a way of talking about "diving beyond recreational limits", but I agree it's not very specific.

....hope its not to late to start..!!!

I believe you said you're just at the first step of certification.

No, it is not too late.

When you buy your gear, just get everything in BLACK. (If they have it, get "Tech Black".)

That will be a good start.

“Technical" diving... is a useless distinction that, in my opinion, we should all stop using.

I get the feeling that Walter lurks on the boards waiting for someone to ask about "tech diving" so he can launch into that tirade.

He's right. If someone says "tech dive," there's no singular understanding about what it means. However, it is somewhat more specific than "recreational dive". Most people will be able to immediately parse "diving" to a couple potential activities.

"Recreational dive" literally means a dive done for recreational purposes (and thus encompasses recreational tech dives). However, the term is most often used to describe non-professional (and some professional i.e. instructional) dives that are to no deeper than 130feet or to no greater duration than some "NDL", and with no overhead considerations (etc), the point being at no time during the dive are you denied direct (albeit at a controlled ascent rate) access to the surface.

The most common evolution of the term "technical dive" that I encounter is any dive during which direct access to the surface is denied, be it by the cave, wreck, ice, decompression ceiling, etc..

One of the best instructors I've ever worked with told me, "Do all the dives you can do with the certification you have, and when you're completed bored with those, go get more training." It's superb advice.

While this notion CAN be a motivation to go into tech, it doesn't work for everyone. As an underwater photographer with a background in marine biology, I could easily spend my entire lifetime diving within recreational limits and never get bored. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the idea of being able to venture a little deeper and stay a little longer if I choose to do so and knowing I have the knowledge, skills and equipment to do so safely.

great advice,

i'll try and obsorb it all... i'm not one to shy from trianing... in fact i live by it... in fact its part of my code of Honor..
[ always train for as long as you lungs hold breath "train" in mind, body and spirit..! ]

i'm always in training for something or another and when i'm not training myself im training a younger generation... sooo i will take that advice to heart.!

as for slowing down... and not exceeding my diving past my training.. i will take that advice too...

i have a deep respect for the ocean and for the water in general.. i drowened when i was about 6 yrs old in a swimming pool.. i mean down below for pretty long time until my mother realized i hadnt come inside with my brother and sister for lunch so she ran back outside and i was sunk down at the deep end.. dont know how long but must of been down tere a while.. luckily my mother an elemantry school teacher that was required to be cpr certified revieved me.. and luckinly my mother with a heart of a warroir made me get right back in the water so that i wouldnt be dramatized by it... i was scared *****less but i learned to respect the water at a very young age...
and with the time i spent in the Marine Corps..! i developed an even greater respect and passion for the ocean and the strength and sprit of the sea... so i would like to say i will try to never under estimate the water... i strongly believ that if you dont respect it it will take... partly becuase its happend to me once..! and i hope it never happens again...

but i still am very drawn to it.. soo here i go.. i will try and see how far i can get with a slow steady pace and hopefully i will be able to become a tech diver one day... if not i sure will have fun trying..
-Gonzo...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom