What is the appeal of Lake, Cold, Low vis diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phatso-29:
Because its there.
I heard a quote once that somes it up for me.
"The two constants in life are [-]beer[/-] rum and diving. One can get you through times without the other ,but life without either is intolerable."

fixed it for you :D

And as for the diving in cold, low vis lakes... it gives us something to do when we can't afford to head south.

SteveC:
hmm... lets add it up. $165 + $2000 + $500..... most trips to the tropics cost more than that just to get there.
A trip to Haigh cost $20 :)

And one day of charter diving in the great lakes costs >$90 for a two tank dive, not including air or tanks. Most caribbean destinations come out half to two-thirds of that.

If you count the airfare, to get from Chicago to Bonaire to dive there, why not count the airfare from Bonaire to Chicago for all the people from Krajelenick that want to dive at Haigh! ;-)

Tom

If warm water diving was a movie, it would be like a Disney cartoon. Sure, it's all pretty and fun and the the colorful animals are singing and dancing to happy songs, and everyone can watch it - but after a while I get bored.

I much prefer a movie like Schindler's List. Yes, it's dark and gritty, but it's deep and thought provoking and has some meat to it. And you come away different for the experience. But it's not for everyone.

I like my diving served dark and cold.

rexman24:
Maybe someone can explain it to me.

So what is the appeal of diving in lakes, quarries, cold, low vis waters?

WHATS not to LOVE....????????????????????????? :huh: :confused:

I can only take one diving trip each year.

Or I can leave the office now and be at the local divesite in less than 2 hours.

The choice isn't that difficult... :)

Rick Inman:
If warm water diving was a movie, it would be like a Disney cartoon. Sure, it's all pretty and fun and the the colorful animals are singing and dancing to happy songs, and everyone can watch it - but after a while I get bored.

I much prefer a movie like Schindler's List. Yes, it's dark and gritty, but it's deep and thought provoking and has some meat to it. And you come away different for the experience. But it's not for everyone.

I like my diving served dark and cold.

I like that.

Racket:
I personally think that all the cool fish, and "things to see" get in the way of the actual scuba diving.

Um....okay...

For me diving is totally about what you are able to see that you can't see on the surface. The gear and training are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves.

My father, on the other hand, was a Lake Erie diver in MI. While my log is full of descriptions of amazing wildlife his is full of "5 ft viz, found coleman lantern...or 3' viz, found toilet..."

I live in FLA and won't even waste my time diving on a day with less than 40' viz.

* Yes, I am totally spoiled. The day I did my OW cert the water was crystal clear, completely flat and viz was top to bottom 37'. *

I dive for all the same reasons people have commented on: the challenge, the close proximity to quarries and lakes, and the neat things you get to see that many in our area never get to experience. Coldwater diving makes me a better diver by allowing me to dive more often and dive in different conditions. Furthermore the aquatic life is fun to watch.

I wrote a story about Freshwater Jellyfish http://www.storytrax.com/node/381. It was a really cool to dive the Blue Hole Quarry in Central Pennsylvania and see these little creatures. It was an experience no one else in my community had ever enjoyed.

zamboni19:
Um....okay...

For me diving is totally about what you are able to see that you can't see on the surface. The gear and training are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves.

My father, on the other hand, was a Lake Erie diver in MI. While my log is full of descriptions of amazing wildlife his is full of "5 ft viz, found coleman lantern...or 3' viz, found toilet..."

I live in FLA and won't even waste my time diving on a day with less than 40' viz.

* Yes, I am totally spoiled. The day I did my OW cert the water was crystal clear, completely flat and viz was top to bottom 37'. *

That end of Lake Erie (west) sucks and the viz is so unpredictable. I started my diving there, but quickly went on to other Great Lakes areas. Just because I like it cold and dark doesn't mean I have to like "braille" diving..... 2 totally different types of diving IMHO. My fav wreck dives are 60-150ft of viz below the thermocline on a "museum" that sunk in 1800's or early 1900's. The history and the level of preservation is what appeals to me.

Man, I wish I had some quarries to dive in (above dry suit temps, that is). South Louisiana inland waters do get cold in the winter but have zero, and I do mean zero viz thanks to the Mississippi and all the other rivers dragging silt down to the Gulf. And speaking of the Gulf, we have a severe shortage of charters (only one since Katrina) who will even take divers out to the oil rigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom