what is the best 5mm wetsuit for warmth and comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henderson H2.......

Warmth comes from fit and they fit the best........

M

I own a Henderson H2 7mm and use a separate hood provided by Henderson. The fit and comfort is amazing. I am usually one of the last people to dive wet including last weekend with a morning air temp of 34 and a water temp of 55. I did 3 dives, all for 40-50 minutes or longer the same day.

Yeah, Henderson H2. A 5mm is Florida should be great for you.

I don't own any Henderson H2s, so I can't offer a true head to head comparison, but my Pinnacle 3mm seal jumpsuit is way warmer than my Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch 3mm farmer john. The Hyperstretch is easier to put on but does allow more water flow through it so I chill easier.

I also have a older Henderson 7mm Gold Core 2 pc farmer john that works great for colder water or extended time underwater. Warmest wetsuit I own but I need my buddy's help donning and doffing it.

Another premium brand I see folks using is Waterproof.

Any of the above named suits carried by your local dive shop?

IF not, suggest you check out Scuba Toys, Leisure Pro, and Scuba.com.

Remember, ya get what ya pays for!

Good Luck with your choice.

Any ideas on what is the warmest and most comfortable 5mm wetsuit on market 1pc w/hood or without??

The one that fits you best, irrespective of what other folks recommend.

I agree, fit is the main aspect to be concerned with. I have a Pinnacle Seal 3mm suit.
Their neck design, wrist o-ring design, stitching, 10mm spine pad all contibute to greater warmth.
I'm not sure how much of a difference the merino lining really makes, but the suit is warm.
I've dove many times in 66 degree water temps. With only this suit and a 3mm hood, and was very comfortable for 2 dives.
By the 3rd dive of the day I was shivering. Pretty good for a 3mm suit, since 66 degrees is outside the normal temp. Range for a 3 mil suit.
That being said, my wife was diving a Henderson Gold Core 3mm suit and felt as comfortable.
With a pinnacle suit, you really should try a few on and get the correct size. Their sizing is a little funny, so try befor you buy.
For comparison, the only other wetsuits I own are scubapro suits. They use more plain stitching, a simple collar design, and a very thin spine pad.
You want your suit to fit like O.J.'S glove (pre-trial).
-Mitch

Try lots before you buy, if you can, since body shapes (and fit) vary so greatly. In the 5mm category, I've only had experience with a Mares Trielastic (5-4-3), and it's served me well.

I did a 103 minute dive today with a Henderson Hyperstretch 5 mm full suit and a microprene hood in 77 F water. I was fine through out the dive. (I tend to get cold very easily)
I find Henderson's seem to last me for years before they get crushed (then they get used in the pool with classes, still warm).
But I must echo what was said above...fit is everything, if you can, try to borrow or rent a couple of different types to find the best for you.

I have a Pinnacle 5mm ME. It is so warm. I did a dive in it at 50 ft for 55min and the water temp was 52. I was not cold at all. I also dove in it when the water temp was 47 deg for 50 mins and I was chilled but not cold. The other divers I was with were shivering in their 5mm suits. The merino lining is really nice and it makes the suit a heck of a lot easier to slide out of. Like others said I would still try a variety of suits on and get the one that fits you best.

I have a Pinnacle 5 mm, one piece suit with merino lining etc. Even when matched up with a really good hood it is no where near as warm as my 5 mm freedive suit. For cold water, I prefer a smooth rubber interior, 2 piece freedive suit with an attached hood and NO ZIPPERS.

This type of suit virtually eliminates water leaking into and out of the suit, having no seam at the neck, no zippers to leak and two layers of rubber over the torso, makes a big difference.

The smooth rubber interior requires that the diver use some dilute baby shampoo to slip into the suit, but these suits are very easy to get into when lubricated. This suit is an incredible value, very warm and comfortable.

MAKO Spearguns - 2-Piece Green Aquatic Open Cell Wetsuit (5.0 mm)

Attachments

• green 5 mm suit.jpg
    green 5 mm suit.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,492
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom