What is the best brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spike627 once bubbled...
SO you think that Sunnto is better then Oceanic or aeris computers.
I was merely trying to factually point out some signifcant differences between some of the computers.

Which brand is better is just an opinion. Which brand is better may vary from diver to diver. Most divers will tell you the brand that they have laid out big bucks for is the world's best brand.

Personally, I am happy with my Oceanic since it suits my dive style. Others prefer the additional guidance of the Suunto.

I think about the only way to make a mistake in buying a computer is to:
1. Buy an air only computer, and then have to buy a new one when you start using nitrox to increase NDLs, or
2. Buy one that has a display too small to read (mostly a problem for older divers and watch-type computers such as Suunto Mosquito).

I own and use a number of computers, chalk it up to many purchases over the years. Oceanic (data plus), Suunto Misquito, Uwatec AirZ Nitrox and a VR3. I think you first need to evaluate what kind of diving you will be doing and then look at the interfaces/features to see if they match up.

I agree that buying an air only computer is not a good idea as most diver will or will want to dive nitrox (after the appropriate training and class) at some point.

The comment about the display size may be right for some but I dive with my mosquito everyday. I'm an instructor in the Carribean so the small size is nice. I wear it all the time as my "dry" watch and don't have to remember to put it on when I dive. Also the small size saves it from getting beat up by tanks when I'm changing over customers equipment. The display is big enough for me but "see" for yourself. The other Suunto, Vytec, Cobra, etc. have easy to use interfaces and use the same RGMB model.

I do like the UWatec but agree that the interface is cumbersome, as far as the memo mouse they all have some sort of PC connector. The memo-mouse just let's you take that on a dive holiday vs. your laptop if you want to save on space. Then once home you can download all your dives, the dive computer does save 19 dives, more for the newer ones I believe.

Oceanic has big numbers and easy to read, the button interface also is a bit to be desired.

The cadillac is the VR3 but is quite a bit more expensive then the others and is overkill for most divers. I use it for semi-closed rebreather and gas switching/deco diving. I never wear it when out with recreational divers as it's more then I need with them.

So look at all of them but in summary I think you can't go wrong with a Suunto Mosquito for ease of use, compact size and cost.

Air and Nitrox
Watch functions
Small
Affordable

What more do you want?

El Orans once bubbled...
MOSQUITO

Air and Nitrox
Watch functions
Small
Affordable

What more do you want?
A tissue loading bargraph that indicates N2 load rather than a bargraph that just repeats the NDL info in a bargraph form. See my earlier posts. This is the only drawback I see in Suunto's products.

jhspb once bubbled...
Can you snap a magnifying protector/guard over the mosquito's crystal?

Joe

Sure can, my wifes has one on it and I have one for my stinger, ( but I only wear the protector when I go diving)

I have been using an Aeris Atmos Pro for several years,great computer,really easy to use.I find the bar graphs for N2 and O2 loading very helpful,in fact I rarely look at the time remaining number,just look at the bar graphs.

I recently did an Advanced Nitrox/Deco Proceedures course using my Atmos Pro as a backup to Tables and a bottom timer. Even though the computer knew nothing about the 80% O2 being used for deco it was happy with the profiles!! It was as my instructor put it "scary liberal" So I still think its a great computer,use sensibly,but if you push it to the limit/use it for deco diving and throw in some sawtooth profiles for good measure I think you can expect to get hurt

Back
Top Bottom