What is the best budget liveaboard anywhere in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikko Ilari Laakkonen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The best diving so far i've found was in the Red sea. However I am planning a longer (at least three weeks) february 2015 and I do not like Egypt on shore :) . I will propably also take a single week somewhere liveaboarding at the Red sea.

At this point of planning I am most interested in SE Asia but I am still open to other suggestions as well. I would like to receive recommendations for general areas, dive sites or specific liveaboard vessels/operators. I will be either traveling with my girlfriend or a small group (2-6 people in total). I am an experienced diver/instructor and others will be competent divers as well.

So what i am looking for:

1) 10+ days of diving (maybe two trips put together?)

2) Reasonable pricing, i don't need luxury but i want world class diving. Backpacker style accommodation is OK.

3) However i'd still prefer good food

4) Sidemount-friendly

5) Mantas & Whalesharks & fancy octopi would be nice

6) At least some wrecks too, not just corals

7) Preferably an area with some shore diving opportunities as well

What is "budget".

You can pay X amounts of Euros to swim around in circles on off-shore reefs that you can't reach from shore... but that aren't any better.

or you can pay X amounts of Euros to swim around on some of the best wrecks in the Red sea...

Point here being that "getting your money's worth" isn't just a matter of how much it costs.

Something to think about.

Another thing to consider is who you're with. The shop I work for usually books the *whole* boat and fills it up with people we know and trust, so we don't have to deal with things like (sorry to say it) drunken suicidal Russians or insane FFESSM divers who are dangerous deep divers but think they're much better than they are. Point here being that at the very least don't go alone. Take your own buddy so you can do your own thing and stay out of the way of idiots if they are onboard.

R..

I would go to the Maldives. One exemple : the XXL cruise done by Abyss in Switzerland.

Done it: sharks, manta, whale sharks and beautiful dives. Not too many wrecks though.

Diver0001: Yes sorry i would propably should open a bit my use of word: "Budget". I have no exact amount I can spend, it's almost a year from now so it's more like how much would i need to save before I go. What I mean by looking for "budget"-choice is that i do not need AC, personal showers, clean white sheets every day and a choclate on pillow. What i do need however is to NOT save from diving. I do not want to circle around marina but see the best what a certain area has to offer. I don't remember the exact names of operators right now but i know that there are liveaboard vessels operating in Similan, Thailand in this manner. I've been to Thailand a few times already though so i would like to see something little different.

Freewillow: The Maldives is definitely on a bucket list but since I am now planning a trip for more than three weeks i don't think that would be the best option. I will definitely go there when i get a suitable 10days off for a vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom