What is the best dive sport in Tobago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quitzalcoatl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
We are heading out to Tobago end of April and we would like to know which part of the island has the best diving (and which diveschool is the best to dive with).

Many thanks!

Hi, Im in Tobago early July as a newly certified diver and have booked diving with R & Sea Divers, who are supposed to be excellent according to various web sites/diver feedback. Just wondered, did you get to do any diving in Tobago on your trip and how did it go? I am a little concerned, being a newbie, that the conditions in Toabago where it is mainly drift diving, is going to be too advanced for me.

Hi Joanne,

You will be fine in Tobago. Yes, up around the Speyside area, the dives are mainly drifts, but there are some extremely gentle ones which won't be too daunting, and even those which can be a bit of a handful on occasion can be as a calm as anything on certain days.

Down on the south side of the island, the dives are typical easy Caribbean dives, by and large, with some nice reefs and bays that are shallow, full of life and perfect for newly qualified divers or those without a lot of dives under their belt.

I've been to Tobago three times and absolutely love the diving and the island itself – you will have a great time.

Mark

MarkUK:
You will be fine in Tobago.

Tobago is where I met this Englishman. Hi, Mark!

Add to what he said...

The South end is very accustomed to cruise ship divers, new divers in search of training "dive schools" and day trippers. The Northern end is more catered to the dive-dive-dive crowd.

The South end will have piers, boats, easy boarding, easy dive boats, easy moored dives, and so on.

The North? Only one dive-op has a pier, the rest (which may be arguably better dive ops than the one with the pier) you have to wade out in what may be a mild surf. Better ones will carry your gear. The North is a carnival ride of currents, but not so much pretty fish and reefs (like the South). In the North you me have fleeting glimpses of the "world's largets Brain Coral" and visit dive sites (among others) known as Washing Machine, Heart Attack and African Express (miss the exit for this drive, guess what your next stop might be?)

Yes, even a beginner can dive (some parts of) the North End, but remember, dive-ops are catering to who tradaitionaly comes to them. The North side dive ops get the more experienced divers, so either they're going to be somewhat disappointed or you may be quite challenged. For this reason, if you must dive the North End, I would steer you towards the only really larger dive-op, the one that resides at Blue Waters Inn. After they sort the week's groups out, they run seperate boats for different experience level divers, or sometimes they just put the better divers in the less accomodating boats, assuming that they know how to tough it out.

The South end is perfect for its array of dive training operations and atmosphere that you might find a party scene until late at night.

Night life on the North End is a dive with a flashlight. For the true adventurers, such as MarkUK, he still has exhibited the required post-night dive energy to find a local bar still serving a late-night Carib Beer... even on the very laid back North end.

A little something for everybody.

Ha ha... You know me only too well, Roatanman...

Joanne, try out Diver's Den in the south of the island – ice-cold Carib and the best ribs I have ever tasted!

Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply, I shall definately try Divers Den - Im thinking about an ice cold Carib right now!, and shall take the advice and start diving around the south end of the island. Its my third trip to Tobago this year, doing a week in St Lucia first and have booked a shore dive there at Anse Chastenet first plus boat dives, so should have got used to the sea by the time we get to Tobago. My daughters moaning we has to do skills first (she is also OW cert) before they let us dive in St Lucia, mask removal/reg recovery, etc, is this usual Mark? I certified at Stoneycove in January (water temp 2 degrees, viz 3 metres) so im longing for warmer diving.

You will certainly notice a difference between Stoney and the Caribbean!!!

I have been to several destinations where the dive centre required divers to do mask clearance/reg retrieval, etc, so it is not that unusual. It will only take a couple of minutes – and it will be a lot nicer than doing it in a freezing cold quarry – and then you can get on with the fun part of the trip – the actual diving!

Mark

Joanne Hughes:
My daughters moaning we has to do skills first, is this usual Mark?

May I add...

Yes, this is usual. Daughters generally moan aboat almost everything.

Experienced divers, and this will come with your example and leadership... they just go through the process and do as they are told. As a DM, wouldn't you want to see your guests go through this rudimentary procedure- one most likely to ascertain an individual's comfort level underwater? It tells them who they are dealing with.

Daughters eventually quit moaning. This is often followed by whining. Then they move out of the house and you cry a lot. I seen it happen. Don't worry though. The return with the Village Idiot (or the Second Runner-up) in tow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom